Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?

I recently finished putting up an archway for the entry to our family room, going with a variant that included 4 x 4 posts ‘supporting’ the structure – they don’t really, it was just a way to link the arch to a pre-existing half-wall entry.

I was going to leave the posts plain and painted, but the more I think about it the more I thought that they might look a little better if I spruced them up with some kind of molding on the bottom and perhaps the top. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something like this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-post.jpg  

timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

You could box it with plywood or pine and stain it, fashion a thicker boot at the bottom of it, sort of like a miniature porch column, wrap a mitered moulding around it, maybe a cople of inches from the top and bottom, get creative with a router. Just a few thoughts.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Hi there,
The mitred molding was something that had occurred to me, but I wasn't sure if it might end up looking like less that what my imagination had envisaged.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Any particular reason you used a treated post? Is it kiln dried?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
DexterII (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Thank you Bud; I got sidetracked mid-sentence, and forgot, but was going to ask the same question, and just logged back in to do so. I have a similar situation, meaning a non-structural post that I plan to insert in our home, which I haven't gotten to yet, but my plan is to stick in a couple of 2x4's and box them with pine or cedar. As for the moulding, you could borrow a few samples from the local lumber yard, hold them up there and get an idea, but they will most likely need tweaking down the road as that treated post dries out.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

these are two 8' posts ive done in hte past year but gives you an idea.. plus a couple from my reference folder of photos
Attached Thumbnails
Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-64316_101298719937123_101286969938298_8866_6707304_n.jpg   Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-april19-006.jpg   Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-wilcol12.jpg   Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-feb20-014.jpg   Dressing up a 4 x 4 post?-tools-011.jpg  

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #7

Hi Bud (you pop up everywhere!)

No, no real reason I used it. I had four full length pieces set aside for use in opening up our Florida room, the idea being to remove the existing wall and put posts in place to support the structure. I've since found out I only need three posts rather than four, so when I started building the archway, I figured I may as well put the spare 4 x 4 post to good use. No big deal, other than wearing a mask when I sanded it, area sealed off with plastic, and making sure I had windows open and AC full blast to push the little dust I generated outside.

As for the decorative effect, I'm a little limited in what I can do. Though I have plenty of room around the post at the base, up top I only have the thickness of the drywall either side to play with - unless of course I want some kind of overlap that makes it look like it's 'really' supporting the archway.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

The post is really too big to skin it conventionally. Anything you put on it will extend past the wall above.
Drop the post to a 3x3 and skin it with a thin lattice board, 1/4- 1/2" thick.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

Nice pictures Kirk. Always appreciate nice workmanship - did you do the coffered ceilings as well?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #10

Hi Ron,
Not unless I want to rip out the archway itself and start again! The 4 x 4 extends up through it to the ceiling - I did it to help brace the lower pre-existing half walls, which were a little loose in feel. They're much more solid now, even if you give them a hefty push.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

the coffered ceilings were done after i was finished on that job, it was a flip house being done by a general contractor who does quite a bit of high end woodworking
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

My concern is only that treated materials such as that are usually wet inside and take a long time to dry out especially indoors where there is no wind. If it is not a kiln dried product I would worry it will shrink and split over time. Not even sure it would hold paint if it has moisture in it. It may seem dry to the touch and even sand-able but that doesn't always mean the interior is thoroughly dry.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo59 View Post
Hi Ron,
Not unless I want to rip out the archway itself and start again! The 4 x 4 extends up through it to the ceiling - I did it to help brace the lower pre-existing half walls, which were a little loose in feel. They're much more solid now, even if you give them a hefty push.
Too bad you didn't ask or advice proir to the work you did.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote