DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Double sink vanity

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  RobertBr 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All! I am trying to make a five foot long, double sink vanity for my master bathroom. I am a beginner woodworker and need all the help I can get. Can you recommend a site where I can obtain step-by-step plans? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have seen "Strasser cabinets" and like their clean design and lines, and would like to include a bottom drawer in the cabinetry I am making. The design I have been drawn to is a simple rectangle design with toe kick, three-four drawers in the middle and cabinet doors on each side, with a drawer above the toe kick. Thanks in advance for any help! Robert B

#2 ·
A cabinet is a cabinet. Whether it's a vanity or a drawer base for a kitchen. You'll build a rectangular carcass on a base to start out. You can get the basic carcass build from doing a kitchen cabinet build search.
After the carcass, you need to decide whether the cabinet will be a face framed or frameless build. If these terms are not familiar, look it up. You can't build it if you're not familiar with the terms.
Then decide on the face layout.
The plumbing takes priority. From your description, this will be where the doors are.
Decide on the drawer guide hardware before the layout as you can't build the drawers without taking into consideration the space the hardware needs.
Answer some of the questions and let us know the size of the vanity.

Reactions: RobertBr
#3 ·
Hi Ron:

Thanks for your reply. You make total sense! And simplify it so well!!

I have been out today and pouring through cabinetry books, so along with your directions and the books, I feel little more versed than I was last night. It does make sense to make the base of the cabinet and then build from there.

The dimensions which I am trying to achieve are approximately 60" L x 18" W x 35" H (I'm about 6'1" and I would like it to be a more comfortable height). I have been playing around today with the sizes of the doors and drawers and it appears that if I make each drawer and door 1' wide (with full overlap, European hinges) that will be the look I'm trying to achieve. I'm still working on the height of the drawers and the doors. I believe I want to make a framed faceframe instead of the frameless.

Thanks for making it seem so much simplier. I guess as everyone has told me, it is just a bunch of components that you just need to put together!

I haven't researched staining or finishing the cabinet too much yet -- those hopefully will come later. The stuff I have read on staining, it sounds like most apply three or four coats of stain, which I am wondering if I should start with a lighter stain so that when the four coats are applied, it won't be too dark and the wood grain will be hidden. The color I am trying to achieve is chocolate brown, so it will be pretty dark. Any tips you have on staining and/or varnishing would be greatly appreciated too.

I will definitely post a picture once this cabinet is completed!

Thanks again for your help!

#4 ·
The 18" measurement is rather small for either a sink or a standard top. If you want to avoid custom units, I'd make the vanity to a more standard measurement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.