Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Share |

double sided crown molding

Has anyone used the double sided crown molding? It supposedly makes it easier to get tighter miter joints because you cut it once then flip one piece over and, viola, perfect matched joint. I'd like to know if it works as advertised and would be good for an amateur.
artlover13060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Never heard of it. Do you have a link?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
uva uvam videndo variafit

I've never heard of it either.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Handyman

I have used it before and didn't like it. Maybe because they purchased it a big box store. The problem I found is that the profiles are not a perfect match on each side. Customer prepainted one side only before I installed but I couldn't figure out why the corners would not match. I cut a couple of scarf joints and thats when I realized the problem...profile on the back side was 1/8" off from the profile on the front.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
I have used it before and didn't like it. Maybe because they purchased it a big box store. The problem I found is that the profiles are not a perfect match on each side. Customer prepainted one side only before I installed but I couldn't figure out why the corners would not match. I cut a couple of scarf joints and thats when I realized the problem...profile on the back side was 1/8" off from the profile on the front.
Well, wouldn't you know. I guess there aren't any shortcuts.

They have it at my local HD store.
artlover13060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

This is how I use the double sided crown-

Step 1- measure length of crown needed

Step 2- cut crown to desired length

Step 3- place crown directly in trash

The milling is pretty much never the same on both sides. You won't get nice tight corners.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
KemoSabe

Regardless of whether the profiles match or not, unless you get the exact bisection of the corner with the first cut, the miter wil be off anyway and need to be adjusted for a perfect fit.

That's why coping the inside corners is my preferred method, rendering the double sided molding useless for production.

As for outside corners, you will rarely, if ever, find a perfect 90 degree corner. Sheetrock corner bead always adds thickness at the corner, in order to cover the fastening flanges. I've found that even after adding to the miter angle to compensate for this, the second cut always needs to be adjusted for perfection.

After looking at the double sided crown, there is very little material left to get a pin nail in the corners, not to mention limitted glue surface.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote