Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

Double Prehung Doors

I have been looking everywhere and can't find 18" double doors (pre-hung) to fit in a 36" opening. I have looked everywhere. These doors are going to go into a closet and will open and close with a top ball catch.

Is this really that hard to find?? Is this something I'm going to have to custom make? I'm even getting to the point where I figure I can get (2) 18" pre-hung doors and rip off the verticals.

Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #2

Double Prehung Doors

Are you stuck on a double or will a bi-fold work?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Double Prehung Doors

The wife is stuck on a double. I wouldn't mind a bi-fold .. but you know how that goes ...
Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Double Prehung Doors

Yeah, if mama's not happy, nobody's happy. You'll have to special order or find a millworks in your area that can make them on-site. The smallest double/prehung the big box stores carry is usually 60". (Might find a 48".) Your least expensive (and likely fastest turnaround) route would be through a millworks or even a regular lumber yard. HD and Lowes are normally 10 working days and quite a bit more expensive (since they order through a millworks and tack on their "handling fee). Here locally there's a lumber yard that has a door and window shop that custom builds units quite reasonably and turnaround is often a few days instead of weeks......
Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Double Prehung Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Yeah, if mama's not happy, nobody's happy. You'll have to special order or find a millworks in your area that can make them on-site. The smallest double/prehung the big box stores carry is usually 60". (Might find a 48".) Your least expensive (and likely fastest turnaround) route would be through a millworks or even a regular lumber yard. HD and Lowes are normally 10 working days and quite a bit more expensive (since they order through a millworks and tack on their "handling fee). Here locally there's a lumber yard that has a door and window shop that custom builds units quite reasonably and turnaround is often a few days instead of weeks......
Thanks for the tip! I'll hit the yellow pages and start calling around.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

Double Prehung Doors

Good luck. There may be an old "family owned" lumber yard (like the one I'm referring to) that's been around for years and can at least point you in the right direction. You may even drive by it on occasion, but don't give it a thought because you figure it's just for contractors. Most folks are just "conditioned" to dealing with the big box stores.....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Double Prehung Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Good luck. There may be an old "family owned" lumber yard (like the one I'm referring to) that's been around for years and can at least point you in the right direction. You may even drive by it on occasion, but don't give it a thought because you figure it's just for contractors. Most folks are just "conditioned" to dealing with the big box stores.....
I'd much rather give my business to a smaller ma' and pop type shop.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Double Prehung Doors

I got mine from local lumberyard, Just had em ordered, with the bullet catches already installed. Got em made in Birch.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote