DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Double hung window trim

14K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm back! I finished installing 13 prehung windows in my house. I need suggestions on what type of wood to put inside the window trim? It will be painted white, the trim that goes around the window on the part of the inside of the house. I will then be installing window trim. Its the part that butts up against the window and the sheetrock, to give room for the window trim to be nailed on. Hope I made it kind of clear, and like always thanks for all you PROS!!!

#2 ·
If you are referring to extension jambs (the wood that fills the void between the window and the interior trim), I would suggest a clear pine.

Other choices are PFJ (primed finger jointed), it is hard to get this so you do not see the joints. Another choice is knotty pine but when the knots bleed you will get call backs. If you have it in your budget, look at Azek, it is easy to work with and provides a nice surface that you can leave white or paint.

#3 · (Edited)
Helpless: For painted trim of any kind: Poplar looks and installs great, or as mentioned: pre-primed pine (PFJ)...

TIPS:

Best way to fabricate the jambs. Take you measurements of the window top/bottom and the sides (should be 2 measurements if plumb and level) = these will give you the rectangle of the window size. Next; pre-build the jambs into a rectangular box-like structure using wood glue and 1 1/4" brad nails (if you are doing what is called a picture-frame' casing). Install the casing last, by nailing to the jambs and also nailing the casing corners to eachother.
Install the jamb frame plumb and square.
If you are doing a stool and apron window trim. That is another way of measuring and laying out.

Another tip - Where the jambs 'butt' into the window frames (since you are painting) - use white latex caulking with silicone added to create a seamless transition.

Wood putty - This is something that 'cracks me up' alot, when we look at residential jobs. People think that they need to put a 'mound' of wood putty over nail holes and then spend alot of time sanding (grinding) the putty down. TIP - small bucket of water and a sponge; use fingers to push wood putty into nail hole, wipe excess off with sponge, repeat procedure when 1st coat dries (if need be) ....and voila -ZERO sanding.

Last tip for now: What ever the exact measurement is for the jamb thickness...add 1/16" to the measurement that you will be cutting the window jamb at.
If you are installing a door way jamb - add 1/8". You want the jambs to be 1/16" over the sheetrock surface (1/8" - if there is a sheetrock surface on each side, that way - there is 1/16" on each side). The outside edges of the casing gets nailed onto each side of the sheetrock , by adding the 1/16", then there is no 'pull-apart' at the jamb/casing point.

I am on my lap-top now, but I will post some pics to show you when I get on my one of my desktops.

#4 · (Edited)
Poplar jambs (very, Very few knots in poplar) Great for interior painting stock.
These were done with the 'picture frame' method:
Note caulking that will 'disappear' when all trim is painted.

Next two pictures; Pre-primed PFJ window jambs: 'Stool and Apron' method....pre-framed jambs and stool, attached casing on top and two sides and down to the stool - then inserted into & against 'the windows themselves'. The apron is added last. Caulking and paint-work to come...

Bottom line: Stay away from any heavily 'knotted' stock....

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much fhivinylwindows for the Great info! Atlantic Construction, thanks for the Grrrrrreat pictures and the Great information that you have taken time to provide for me, wow nice work. The last photo with the rossette blocks is exactly what I need to do for 13 windows I installed!!! You guys are awesome!!!!!:thumbup: Atlantic Construction, what was the size of this stock wood you used for the window rectangular box? Thanks so much....

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Alantic Construction, I just measured the window frames, and I have 2 inches on top, bottom, and both sides from the window frame to the outside sheetrock. Made me feel good that everything is plumb, I did install them myself. I will post a picture of one window so you can see. I need to know what size of stock, 1X4, 1X6 I should by, also pine or popular? I can run the boards on my new Dewalt saw:laughing:!

#7 ·
Helpless, For your jamb stock. You will have to 'rip' down the stock (I'm sure that you are probably aware of this already) ....Place the rip side towards the window, since it will be 'hidden'. Standard stock for jambs is 3/4" in thickness. Use 1 1/4" Brad nails for nailing casing to the jambs. Use 16 gauge 2" to 2 1/2" straight nails for the outside edges of the casing. You can also use 15 gauge 2" to 2 1/2" angled nails.
FWIW - I prefer to use the 16 gauge straight 2 1/2" nails for the outside of the casing. There's alot more tips I could add, but my fingers are tired :) ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.