Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Door trim miter

I had the trim on my exterior back door replaced with a composite, vinyl type trim instead of wood because the old trim was rotting at the bottom. It looked good until the one miter corner started to open up recently. Originally, there was a very small gap that was caulked. I am thinking water got in, expanded with the combination weather we had, cracked the caulk and separated the joint. I could see the nail going from the top piece into the side piece was popping out of the top and I don't see a nail going from the side piece into the top piece like I assume there should be. Attached are photos of the door, the one miter that is still good and then the one with the gap. How do I fix it? Renail it with new nail? What type? Use existing nail or hole? Pre drill pilot holes if new nail is used? Wood screw? I want to bring the joint back together and secure it so it doesn't open up again, but don't know best way. I am no carpenter or handyman (obviously, or wouldn't need the advice!). Thanks.
Attached Images

Slyguysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Door trim miter

Vinyl expands/contracts considerably over a season. It will probably close up when warm weather hits. But you can minimize the miter gap by nailing/screwing(stainless steel nails or deck screws) fron the side piece into the top piece after pulling the two together. Add some siliconized latex caulk to the joint first, since it is also an adhesive. The joint should be caulked if you do nothing else.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Door trim miter

I agree with Bill. If the material is solid you can clamp it back together and run a screw in from side or top.
The only difference I would have is that I would use polyurethane caulk instead of silicone caulk. But that's
as much personal preference as anything else.

Unit looks nice there!
RC/DG

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Door trim miter

So I will be better off using screws instead of finishing nails? One from the top to the side piece and also one from the side to the top to "lock" it in? Will screws be too big for that?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Door trim miter

A screw would hold better than a nail.I would use a small gauge deck or stainless screw,
maybe #10 or so. It depends on how thick your trim is. Drill a pilot hole a bit less than the
screw diameter and be sure to countersink for the head of the screw.
One direction screw should be sufficient. If you do both directions you run
the risk of your second screw hitting your first and damaging the face of
your moulding...

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Door trim miter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguysmoke View Post
I had the trim on my exterior back door replaced with a composite, vinyl type trim instead of wood because the old trim was rotting at the bottom. It looked good until the one miter corner started to open up recently. Originally, there was a very small gap that was caulked. I am thinking water got in, expanded with the combination weather we had, cracked the caulk and separated the joint. I could see the nail going from the top piece into the side piece was popping out of the top and I don't see a nail going from the side piece into the top piece like I assume there should be. Attached are photos of the door, the one miter that is still good and then the one with the gap. How do I fix it? Renail it with new nail? What type? Use existing nail or hole? Pre drill pilot holes if new nail is used? Wood screw? I want to bring the joint back together and secure it so it doesn't open up again, but don't know best way. I am no carpenter or handyman (obviously, or wouldn't need the advice!). Thanks.
The first picture is a house with vinyl siding. The rest doesn't have vinyl siding and there is NO drip cap on top of the brick molding. Who installed this with no drip cap? You HAVE to have drip cap covering the top of your brick molding.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Door trim miter

Sorry Joe. I dont know what you refer to. The house is all vinyl siding. The only brick is the steps...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Door trim miter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguysmoke View Post
Sorry Joe. I dont know what you refer to. The house is all vinyl siding. The only brick is the steps...
Brick mold is the trim you're talking where the 45 opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Door trim miter-brick-mold.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Door trim miter

Oh. Ok. It's at least caulked and never cracked or dripped/leaked in the 19 years of the house, so I think it's ok. When the old wood moulding was taken off, everything behind it was good.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Door trim miter

I see another problem. Theres no sill under the legs. Who ever put it in cut the sill too short. The legs either go all the way down or they sit on the sill. The sill cut is called rabbit ears. Im not saying this called the separation but didnt help it either.

Pre drill, use wood glue and clamps and 2 1/2" wood finish screws from the top and or sides. Should work. If not, they sell vinyl brick mold coverings that over lap on the miters or you can have a siding guy bend you up some aluminum caps.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #11

Door trim miter

Thanks. They actually go down to the metal threshold but it's hard to see. Hope that's ok.