Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door stops

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need some advice on what type of door stops to install. I have nice wood floors, I originally was going to screw floor stops down but since I refinished my floors I can't bring myself to drill holes in them. I'm not a fan of the straight spring ones that attach to baseboards either. What other ones are out there that you like?

Cliffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Door stops

All kinds of door stops out there, but 4 basic types:
1. Base board springy ones- Baseboard ones are ugly, but cost-efficient and effective. Several color options.
2. Floor stops- Contemporary looking, lots of options available. Gotta drill holes in the floor. They are expensive. Also, double check the height, they are generally low profile and many interior doors will open right over the top of them.
3. Wall stops- Not real pretty, as they screw to the wall at doorknob height. They look like they would be at home in a hospital or doctors office, but not a house (my opinion).
4. Hinge pin stops- Another option, they attach to the hinges. Easy to install, adjustable, not too pricey. However, they put a strain on the door jamb. If you use them, use 2 or 3 to alleviate some of the strain on the door frame and jamb.

I used a combination of three types. Springys where they won't be seen much, like in the laundry room. Floor stops where the door opens all the way to the wall and the floor stop is out of the way. Hinge stops everywhere else, especially if the door can't be opened all the way due to proximity of furniture, other doors, etc.

Lots of internet options, here's a website to start: http://www.handlesets.com/door-stops/c3425

ramcr913 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ramcr913 For This Useful Post:
Cliffrock (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Door stops

I bought one that looks nice and uses magnets and a spring, so it acts as a door stop and to hold the door open.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Door stops

The original ones in my house are like iron and they screw into the baseboards. You can not even see them against the woodwork, but they have put a dent in the doors over the course of 80 years.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
Cliffrock (09-19-2011)