Door Options For Wine Cabinet?? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door options for wine cabinet??

Hello all,

I need help selecting doors for what will become a wine storage space under a set of stairs. It measures 37 inches across and the doors will be 55 inches high.

My general contractor, who is working on this as part of a larger project, suggests a standard 1 3/8" interior door cut down to make two doors. This idea troubles me because I think the door will look/feel too heavy, and, with the jam and hinges will be too bulky when opened.

The only alternative I've come up with, thinner, cabinet-type doors, would likely warp. So I'm looking for other options.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Door options for wine cabinet??-photo-1.jpg   Door options for wine cabinet??-photo-2.jpg  

Advertisement

Inugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

What are you going to use, to keep the area at the proper humidity and temp? It does look a little on the small side, due to you will only be able to store on a shelf on the backside.

Most Wine & Scotch storage areas I have seen. Use Outdoor grade Steel or Fiberglass doors, with no windows.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Gregzoll -

Your comment about heat is spot-on; we don't want heat. This area is in a basement; the back wall in the picture will have a vent to a non-heated, unfinished area. That same area before being "improved" has been our wine storage area for 20 years with great results. The door will separate the cabinet from the heated room.
Inugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inugami View Post
Hi Gregzoll -

Your comment about heat is spot-on; we don't want heat. This area is in a basement; the back wall in the picture will have a vent to a non-heated, unfinished area. That same area before being "improved" has been our wine storage area for 20 years with great results. The door will separate the cabinet from the heated room.
Venting to a non-heated unfinished area is not wise. That space needs to either have a Wine Refer just put in there, or you will need a chiller unit, that keeps it at the proper humidity and temp.

You may want to talk to local wine shops about this, along with contractors who have done this kind of stuff. One thing you do not want in your setup. Is for the Wine to go bad, due to you did not think like Wine.

That unfinished, unheated area can easily become warm or have wide temperature swings that can easily kill your wine product in storage. Unless you are turning over a lot of wine every month, your idea would work. But not for the long term, or if you plan on stocking finer wines, etc..
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Venting to a non-heated unfinished area is not wise. That space needs to either have a Wine Refer just put in there, or you will need a chiller unit, that keeps it at the proper humidity and temp.

You may want to talk to local wine shops about this, along with contractors who have done this kind of stuff. One thing you do not want in your setup. Is for the Wine to go bad, due to you did not think like Wine.

That unfinished, unheated area can easily become warm or have wide temperature swings that can easily kill your wine product in storage. Unless you are turning over a lot of wine every month, your idea would work. But not for the long term, or if you plan on stocking finer wines, etc..

Since when do you store wine in a refer or a chiller long term????
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote