Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Share |

Door ooops - what are my options

Okay I ordered the doors and we have one that is in issue. We are using hollow core Masonite pre hungs from a lumberyard.

The joys of a crooked framing job.......The picture below pretty much shows what we are dealing with. The Red lines represent a straight rough opening and the black represents what we are dealing with. The door is out on the bottom right and wont close. The picture is not representative, the gap is less than 3/8ths at the worst point. Basically starts from below the latch area and then gets a little worse till the bottom.

Normally I would just rip out the stud and move it back or order a smaller door but this door is from the hallway to the master bedroom and on each side there are 3 studs back to back so I cant just move a stud without pulling 3 of them. The studs are tight against each other with no gaps. I do not want to come down a door size as this would leave a 29 inch door into the master. This is what the prior owners had before the storm and it was a pita.

I would like to sand / shave the door and the stud to get it to where it will fit.

I know that I can trim doors at the bottom but not sure how much side wood is there before it turns into MDF. I am also looking at sanding down the stud on one side. Compounding the issue is our studs are true 2 x 4's and are not pine and are as hard as a rock.

Any other suggestions that we may not have thought of? Does anyone know roughly how much wood is on the side of a door before it turns into mdf?

Thanks

Robyn
Attached Images

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Forget about modifying the door or jambs--------there is not enough real wood to do that.

Get a saws all and cut the studs in half----it's messy, but if you use Milwaukee blades it will be done in a short time---the blades will easily cut any nails---Mike---
BigJim (10-20-2013), forcedreno2012 (10-20-2013), woodworkbykirk (10-22-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Dohhhhh... in my best Homer Simpson impersonation.

And that would be why I post questions here lol. Someone is always thinking outside the box.

Thanks Mike.

That never even entered our heads. Sounds like a viable solution....although I was looking at some specky belt sanders :P

Going to do two cuts and chip out half an inch and see if we can pry out the stud without tearing up the drywall too much. If that doesn't work will go full carnage.

Robyn
The Following User Says Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
DIY staff

That method is pretty standard---
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

mike hit the nail directly on the head.. i have to do this quite often when trimming houses that less experienced sloppy framers did.. typically i run the circ saw up the studs first to give myself an extra 3/4".. by using hte circ saw first you get a nice square cut 1/2 way through the stud which makes finishing the cut with a recip straighter

if you do do this take your time because its a dangerous cut to make and wear saftey glasses
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-23-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Before I'd cut the stud in half, I would pry just a bit between the first stud and the second just enough to get a sawzall blade in there. Run it down and cut the nails and remove the stud. Replace it with a 1 x 4 and shim it plumb. Do each side and then hang the door.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-23-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Renovating My Land Yacht

Just wanted to update....the sawzall operator was out sick the last week but we tackled this today. Your trick worked like a champ. Not too much drywall carnage either.

Now I have TWO doors in the house....walking in high cotton now lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (10-31-2013), hand drive (11-04-2013)