DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

door molding on tile in bathroom

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AnnaVanLenten 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have tiled my bathroom walls so that the tile extends from the floor halfway to the ceiling, and right over to the edge of the doorframe.

My question: Is it possible to put the wood molding that goes around the doorframe on over the tile, or do I need to rip out the tile and leave open wallspace the exact width of the molding?

If I can put the molding on over the tile, how? And what do I do about transitioning from the section of the wall that is tiled to the section that isn't?

#2 ·
In finish construction you can do anything you want to. It's your house and I have seen some interesting things over the years.

Usually the molding is put in and the tile is cut to fit the molding.

As you have pointed out there is a difference in the thickness of the tile versus the plain wall. This will cause you lots of headaches since it not only affects the molding at the tile transition but it will affect the reveal on the door frame.

My take would be to remove the tile, put the molding in and then cut the tile to fit up against the molding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.