Door Latch Hits Craftsman Door Casing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door latch hits craftsman door casing

I'm installing craftsman 1x4 door casing and realized the door latch is hitting the casing before the door strike. I'd like to know what's the best way to solve this problem. Nothing special is going on here.. standard jamb, latch backset, pre-hung doors etc. I've seen extended door strikes plates for sale that seems like it would solve the problem.

Advertisement

andrewxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,398

So why not buy one? Other Eilen is cut/chilsel//sand back the offending area of the molding....or reinstall with more reveal. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

I'm just looking for ideas on a good solution. Probably will go with the extended door plate unless I hear of other solutions
Old 11-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 804

I think you have the right idea. That big box store with the orange stripe shows one on their web site. You can get there through the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Other sites in that link show the variety of lip lengths available. Don't be surprised if it's special order.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

yeah, actually none of the big box stores stock them. I couldn't find them anywhere local so need to order. Another reason I was questioning whether I was doing something wrong as it seems it'd be a common problem with thicker casing, which seems more popular these days. thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewxxxx View Post
yeah, actually none of the big box stores stock them. I couldn't find them anywhere local so need to order. Another reason I was questioning whether I was doing something wrong as it seems it'd be a common problem with thicker casing, which seems more popular these days. thanks
You might want to check local locksmiths. They might be able to get one from a "master distributor" in a reasonable length of time.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 784

check with a local shop that specializes in hardware they should have it.. for next time though go with a larger casing reveal on teh jamb. with thick casings i always use a 1/4" reveal specifically for that reason.. both for the strike plate but also so the hinges dont rub

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #8

It still hits with a 1/4" reveal. I'd have to go to just over 3/8" to clear the casing. It is 3/4" thick (1x4).
Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #9

Good point on the hinges. Originally I was going to place the trim flush with the hinges. I wasn't thinking they turn and would rub over time.

Advertisement

Tags
trim craftsman