Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #1

Share |

Door jamb too big for prehung double doors... help please!

Hello, we just bought a home and I wanted to install the prehung double doors myself but I have some issues... First, the door jamb is 79.5W x 87.5H and the prehung doors are only74 3/4W x 82 1/8H... so I need to know how hard would that be to fill it in? The jamb width is 8 3/4 as well. I have never hung doors so I dont know how hard it is but I thought it would be simple. We could always just have lowes install it for $500 bucks Any help would be great!

Thank you all

Adam

capth4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
the Musigician

Save your $500.00. This can easily be a DIY project.

If you have problems, post pictures here and the guys will be happy to help.

DM

Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
DIY staff

You must have a very old house--that rough opening is quite large and the walls very thick.

Any way you could post a picture? Do you have access to a table saw?

Is the house plaster and lath or drywall? Concrete block?

Need a little bit more info---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You must have a very old house--that rough opening is quite large and the walls very thick.

Any way you could post a picture? Do you have access to a table saw?

Is the house plaster and lath or drywall? Concrete block?

Need a little bit more info---
Yes its a block home... it was built in 1927 I do not have a table saw The walls are plaster over the metal wiring... not sure the proper name for it. Thank you all for your help and info.... Ill get some photos soon... right now its just an opening with plywood.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

Why don't you just take the doors back and get the right size? You might have to order custom doors but at least they'd fit like they should.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why don't you just take the doors back and get the right size? You might have to order custom doors but at least they'd fit like they should.
Because it would cost a lot more for custom doors ...We have so much to buy for this remodel project I think I might just let lowes install them.... There will be issues with the jamb size and fillers for the whole door as well... plus the weather sealing. So I might just let them do it and watch and see if it would have been the same way I would have done it.

Last edited by capth4u; 11-01-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Stair builder

Lowe's would be about my last choice here. Why don't you try the local lumber yard, hardwood supplier, google search or craigslist.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #8

so says the stair expert...

Don't let Keith fool ya, he knows all sorts of stuff...a lot of it pretty amazing.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #9

I am sure I could do it but my concerns are making sure the fill in is the right amount and the weather striping is done correct. Since the rough opening is 79.5W x 87.5H and the pre-hung doors are 74 3/4W x 82 1/8H. So what size wood should I use to do the filling? Also.. since this is an external door... what type of weather seal do I need to use to make sure it does not leak? Thank you all for your input
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #10

Your beating the confidence out of yourself. You can do it. Just ask questions and wait for the answers.
169stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capth4u View Post
I am sure I could do it but my concerns are making sure the fill in is the right amount and the weather striping is done correct. Since the rough opening is 79.5W x 87.5H and the pre-hung doors are 74 3/4W x 82 1/8H. So what size wood should I use to do the filling? Also.. since this is an external door... what type of weather seal do I need to use to make sure it does not leak? Thank you all for your input
Since it's a prehung exterior door, you don't have to do anything to it as far as weather stripping because it should all be there. The only thing yopu have to do is make the rough opeing correct and hang the door.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Since it's a prehung exterior door, you don't have to do anything to it as far as weather stripping because it should all be there. The only thing yopu have to do is make the rough opeing correct and hang the door.
What about weather proofing the gap around the pre-hung unit that I am going to fill in? Its about 5 inch on top and sides? I thought I had to fill the gap with wood and then weather proof it so no water leaks in when it rains. I live in Florida and it rains a lot sometimes. Thank you
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capth4u View Post
What about weather proofing the gap around the pre-hung unit that I am going to fill in? Its about 5 inch on top and sides? I thought I had to fill the gap with wood and then weather proof it so no water leaks in when it rains. I live in Florida and it rains a lot sometimes. Thank you
You hang the door flush to the outside and fill the inside. The door won't open past 90 degrees much but everything will be sealed the right way from the outside like a normal hung door.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You hang the door flush to the outside and fill the inside. The door won't open past 90 degrees much but everything will be sealed the right way from the outside like a normal hung door.
Here is a video I seen online.... this is the sealing that I was asking about.... don't I need to do all of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNQ5j2rEC0
Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #15

Sounds like you need to add a bit of framing to make the opening smaller to fit the door you have. This would require a jack stud added on either side, preferably evenly spaced from the center of the opening. Also sounds like you would need to add a header (non bearing as there is already a bearing header above) about 3/4" higher than the top of the door unit. Then add sheathing over the new framing. At this point ideally you will install some type of housewrap and then you're ready to install the door. For all intensive purposes flashing work would be included as part of the door install.

If this doesn't sound like something you're comfortable doing, I'll agree with Keith and say find a local pro, not lowes.

Good luck

RemodelGA is offline   Reply With Quote