Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #1

Share |

Door hinges

I'm replacing all of my interior doors. I bought a mortising guide and set it to the correct thickness of the doors and noticed that the guide will mortise the hinge much closer to the edge of the door then they currently are. Why do my hinges stick out so far? Should I mortise the doorway further in where the template sits?
Attached Thumbnails
Door hinges-photo-5-.jpg   Door hinges-photo-4-.jpg  

Dianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #2

Door hinges

From the pic it looks like the original hinges are a little prouder of the frame than they need to be. A quick way to see if you can set them in a little further is to set the new door in the frame, fully closed as if the hinges were on, and then slide the new hinges into the gap where you think they still allow the door to open fully( I cannot see how thick your moulding is), mark the hinge with a pencil, then take door out and put hinges at markings too see if fits. You should have about an 1/8" of space left on the door so you cannot the hinge from the other side.

puppyzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Door hinges

with the hinges stuck out that far, be sure to check the other side margin and the other edge of the door "may" need to be angle cut to allow the door to open/close properly without hitting the jamb.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

Door hinges

When I open the door there is a lot of room, not even close to hitting the casing. I'm going to be replacing the casing, but wider, not any thicker. I'll try one door and see how it works, I've never used the hinge mortise or my router before. Maybe I'll try it on one of the old doors first!
Dianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #5

Door hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
When I open the door there is a lot of room, not even close to hitting the casing. I'm going to be replacing the casing, but wider, not any thicker. I'll try one door and see how it works, I've never used the hinge mortise or my router before. Maybe I'll try it on one of the old doors first!
good idea.
the old jambs will need to be cut using the same settings for hinge depth otherwise the door will not plane properly.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote