DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Door handle on a gate (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/door-handle-gate-175198/)

jeffnc 03-22-2013 05:46 AM

Door handle on a gate
 
Let's say I wanted to replace an exterior gate latch with a door handle. I assume a regular exterior (locking) door handle would work on a gate.

Assuming I had a good way to install a strike plate, it would still need to have a stop added, right? I'm guessing that without it the latch might have a tendency to fly on through the hole in the strike plate sometimes.

joecaption 03-22-2013 06:15 AM

Got a picture?
And yes you would need some form of door stop moulding.
If it's outside a stip of vinyl trim or a pressure treated 2 X 2 will work.

hand drive 03-22-2013 09:25 AM

some type of stop is certainly needed and plan to set the handle at the farthest 2 3/4" back setting, standard is 2 3/8" back setting. also, leave a section of the door stop out where the handle is so no bruised knuckles... exterior knob is also made for 1 3/4" thick door so your gate would need similar thickness for knob to operate correctly

jeffnc 03-22-2013 01:22 PM

Why do you say it should be at the 2 3/4" setting?

I don't have a pic but one looks something like this
http://cfcdistributors.wordpress.com...p-carousel-104

The other is similar, but the side pillars are brick, so that will be a little trickier, but ultimately about the same.

Maintenance 6 03-22-2013 01:32 PM

You need to add a 4"x4" block to the gate to install a standard knobset with a 2-3/8" backset and a 2-1/8" bore. A standard knob will fit a door thickness of 1-3/8" to 1-3/4". Assuming your gate has 3/4" thick slats, a block of the same thickness will easily accomodate the lock. You will need a stop to prevent the latch from skipping through the strike. What you have pictured is a typical gate latch. This doesn't seem to match what you described in post #1.

jeffnc 03-22-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 1143026)
What you have pictured is a typical gate latch. This doesn't seem to match what you described in post #1.

That is what I'm replacing. Of course I don't have a picture of how it will look :-)

jeffnc 03-22-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 1143026)
You need to add a 4"x4" block to the gate to install a standard knobset with a 2-3/8" backset and a 2-1/8" bore. A standard knob will fit a door thickness of 1-3/8" to 1-3/4". Assuming your gate has 3/4" thick slats, a block of the same thickness will easily accomodate the lock.

By this, I assume you mean a block of wood 4" x 4" x 3/4" ? So I'm assuming the 4" dimension is arbitrary, if I understand your meaning.

Actually this particular gate is about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly, but I understand I'll have to add a width adapter if necessary.

redman88 03-22-2013 03:19 PM

it can be done i have seen it on many gates around my father in laws place and on some of the gates he has sold and installed for other people.



wood or metal gate? my father inlaws are all metal gates but if it can be done in metal. would would just be easier and quicker for some.

hand drive 03-23-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnc (Post 1143020)
Why do you say it should be at the 2 3/4" setting?

I don't have a pic but one looks something like this
http://cfcdistributors.wordpress.com...p-carousel-104

The other is similar, but the side pillars are brick, so that will be a little trickier, but ultimately about the same.

2 3/4" backsetting helps clear knuckle obstacles (if any) while opening and closing the door. I've seen many knobs that are right against the door stop and there is no way to avoid knocking knuckles when opening. if you use a 1x for the stop you might not have any issues but standard door stop is about 1/2"... so if that is any indication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnc (Post 1143044)
By this, I assume you mean a block of wood 4" x 4" x 3/4" ? So I'm assuming the 4" dimension is arbitrary, if I understand your meaning.

Actually this particular gate is about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly, but I understand I'll have to add a width adapter if necessary.

any exterior knob should work fine with an 1 1/2" thick door and there should be no modifications needed...

jeffnc 03-23-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand drive (Post 1143652)
I've seen many knobs that are right against the door stop and there is no way to avoid knocking knuckles when opening.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Maintenance 6 03-24-2013 12:32 PM

No. The 4" is not arbitrary. To mount a standard bore in lockset, you'll need at least 2-3/8" from the edge of the gate to the center of the
2-1/8" cross bore, plus some material for the lockset to mount to.
So 2-3/8" + 1-1/16" ( cross bore radius) + 9/16" (to carry lock) = 4" block. Add another 3/8" if you use a 2-3/4" backset latch.

jeffnc 03-24-2013 02:17 PM

OK I see what you mean. But technically it could just as easily be a 3" circular wooden "gasket", big enough to cover the handle frame right? But I see what you mean - it would be better to attach something bigger and more solid, and crossbore right through it.

Maintenance 6 03-24-2013 07:42 PM

If you used just a 3" ring, you could mount the knob chassis, but then you'd have nothing to carry the latchbolt bore from the edge of the door to the chassis.

jeffnc 03-25-2013 02:33 AM

OK your context was a gate thickness of 3/4". I didn't pay much attention to that because this gate is built different - it's got borders made of 2x6s or something like that.

I didn't quite understand what you meant when you first posted that, but I can see it in my mind now....

Maintenance 6 03-25-2013 08:40 AM

If you've got a 2x6 at the edge of the gate, you're good to go. Drill it for a 2-3/8 or 2-3/4 backset entry lock and have at it. I would go with a better quality entry lock because of the weather exposure (if that is an issue). The exposure on a gate is worse than that of an exterior door.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved