Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Door Clearance Under Bulkhead

My contractor has hung the drywall for my basement and I noticed two things.

1) The door leading to the basement hits the bulkhead. What can be done to allow for more clearance here? Isn't this something that they should have noticed and rectified? The door previously opened all of the way... I have attached pictures below.

2) On all of the corners of the drywall where they put metal flashing (not sure of the correct term) I can still see holes, even after "mudding". I have also attached pictures. Is this normal? Do they need to do a second layer of mud if I can still see the holes on the corners?

I hope I didn't make the wrong decision with this contractor...

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by dgoldb1; 02-15-2008 at 06:57 PM.
dgoldb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Without knowing what/ how the bulkhead was framed, the contractor could have at least shortened the door and frame for you (if its possible) How high/wide is the door opening? A pocket door or bifold may also have been a possibility but that depends on how the basement is laid out.

The second pic only comes up half way for me so can't comment. Maybe send another pic?

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

I would say they are not done taping the drywall yet, if they are, yipes!! Get hime to come back and finish it.

If it is a standard 6'8 door they can lower it, actually Premdor used to make a 6'6 door specifically for basement applications such as this. It is not the end of the world, remove the door, cut and drop the frame 2", Cut the door by 2" (It appears to be a hollow core colonial style door)(Don't forget to reinsert the bottom rail to give the door it's rigidity) and rehang.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
I would say they are not done taping the drywall yet, if they are, yipes!! Get hime to come back and finish it.

If it is a standard 6'8 door they can lower it, actually Premdor used to make a 6'6 door specifically for basement applications such as this. It is not the end of the world, remove the door, cut and drop the frame 2", Cut the door by 2" (It appears to be a hollow core colonial style door)(Don't forget to reinsert the bottom rail to give the door it's rigidity) and rehang.
How are you able to lower a hollow door?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
ICF Construction

cut the bottom of the door, remove the rail insert, clean the door skin off the edges, apply glue, reinsert, use a few 18g 1" nails, perhaps a clamp if needed. done
Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Not a big deal for sure, but the contractor should have done that...or at least addressed the concern to the customer with some options.

Chris is going to jump on myazz for this , but sometimes when trimming down a hollow core door, I have clamped the sides and sprayed expanding foam insulation in the cavity. When its dry, carve the excess off. Saves time and just as rigid.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Not a big deal for sure, but the contractor should have done that...or at least addressed the concern to the customer with some options.

Chris is going to jump on myazz for this , but sometimes when trimming down a hollow core door, I have clamped the sides and sprayed expanding foam insulation in the cavity. When its dry, carve the excess off. Saves time and just as rigid.
Cheaper to run the piece you cut off thru the table saw
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
ICF Construction

Quote:

I won't jump on ya, just send me some Player's smokes would ya.

But let's look at the economics here

Spray foam.....$ 9.50 can

Existing rail cut from bottom of door.....$ Free

You decide!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
1) The door leading to the basement hits the bulkhead. What can be done to allow for more clearance here? Isn't this something that they should have noticed and rectified? The door previously opened all of the way... I have attached pictures below.
Simple solution: Talk to the contractor now, and ask him to cut the door down so that it clears that soffit. Mistakes happen - that is a mistake that can be easily fixed. COMMUNICATION (it's a nice thing).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
2) On all of the corners of the drywall where they put metal flashing (not sure of the correct term) I can still see holes, even after "mudding". I have also attached pictures. Is this normal? Do they need to do a second layer of mud if I can still see the holes on the corners?
Ummm........You are looking at the FIRST coat of compound. I can tell the mud is still wet.
They have one more coat to do .....and then sanding...I can tell that the taping and coating is being done professionaly (They know what they are doing)

.....stay out of the way, and stop snooping around the drywall work.........for goodness sakes, let them finish their work.....Then do your inspections....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-16-2008 at 09:34 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
No comment....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Simple solution: Talk to the contractor now, and ask him to cut the door down so that it clears that soffit. Mistakes happen - that is a mistake that can be easily fixed. COMMUNICATION (it's a nice thing).....

Ummm........You are looking at the FIRST coat of compound. I can tell the mud is still wet.
They have one more coat to do .....and then sanding...I can tell that the taping and coating is being done professionaly (They know what they are doing)

.....stay out of the way, and stop snooping around the drywall work.........for goodness sakes, let them finish their work.....Then do your inspections....
Ha, 10-4!