Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door Casing, top edge of door way not level

Hello,

I just bought my first house and am attempting to put up a door casing around the arch way between the family room and dining room. Its really a square opening (not an arch), but I found that the edge along the top of the opening is not level. It arches down a bit in the middle forming a slight U with the ends being about a quarter inch higher than the middle. Does anybody have any ideas on how to install the casing so that its flush with the edges? Right now if I put it up, the ends of the top piece would hang over the ends, looking very unattractive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jack687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

put jambs all around then trim will hide un level ness ( new word :} }

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Find the lowest spot in the middle of the header.
Tack a 1x4 level, across the very lowest side. It should extend several inches past the edges of the opening.
Now match that piece with one on the other side of the archway... everything nice and level.
Scrape and scratch up the paint up in the hollows at each end so drywall mud will stick.
Fill in the hollow ends with drywall mud till the whole header is flat and level.... flush and smooth with the bottoms of both 1x4's.

Let it set up a day or two.
Take the 1x4's off, and sand everything smooth.
Install the trim... taking care to keep the nails away from the new drywall mud ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Casing, top edge of door way not level-fill-header.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 12-06-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,010

"WillieT", I like your suggestion as to the stated problem. I've done almost the same thing, only different . It's a judgment call as to how much difference to work with the way I've done it. I place the two top pieces of trim as you describe placing the 1x4's, level as can be. Then I mark a line on the inside of the trim and cut accordingly. MOST of the time this will work and not be noticeable to the eye. On the other problem with the door gap, I also wonder if the actual door is square on all corners. I'd be checking the door frame, and the door for square, check level/plumb, taking diagonal measurements, and maybe calling in a surveyor with laser beams (not really). Sometimes it is a PIA to get a door problem like that solved, short of taking the entire door/frame down and starting over. Happy New Year, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack687 View Post
Hello,

I just bought my first house and am attempting to put up a door casing around the arch way between the family room and dining room. Its really a square opening (not an arch), but I found that the edge along the top of the opening is not level. It arches down a bit in the middle forming a slight U with the ends being about a quarter inch higher than the middle. Does anybody have any ideas on how to install the casing so that its flush with the edges? Right now if I put it up, the ends of the top piece would hang over the ends, looking very unattractive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Check to see if the top of the jamb in the center is hitting the bottom of the sheetrock because sometimes the sheetrock is lower than the bottom of the header. If so you can cut the sheetrock out.

It could be that the header is sagging in the center and hitting the top of the jamb. If this is the case depending how wide the sag is you can stick a handsaw or sawzall (carefully) above the top of the jamb where the 1/4" space starts and cut the top of the jamb in place and cut the sag out and the top of the jamb will move up into place.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

woops
post deleted due to sub-thread deletion.
excuse me

Last edited by okrite; 01-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
okrite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door casing