Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I need a new window sill/stool?

The builders did not put any casing around our windows and we would like to put some up. The window ends of the sill (or stool) extends only 3" beyond the window. This is standard for the builder grade 2 1/4" window casing trim.

However, we really would like to put in a wider Craftsman style window casing that would extend beyond the existing window sill (stool). We could stand the sill to be flush with the casing, but that would require 2 3/4" case moulding (which does not exist as a standard size). Could we cut off the ends of the sill to be flush with the inside of the window? OR... could the wider casing just wrap around the shorter sill? Neither of these ideas follow the standard rules of trimming out a window.

So the question is... Is there a way to work around this problem without having to cut and install new window sills throughout the house?

What is the easiest solution?

Last edited by helpwindow; 03-31-2009 at 05:41 PM.
helpwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How many places did you post this?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

youre being silly, replace the sills or get smaller casings

NEXT!
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

NO, you may not need new window sills. Without pictures I can only use my imagination (and it ain't Disney's) to picture what you are into. Let's look at the scenario this way: On the outside of your sills, does the sill have a sort of drop of about 1/8"-3/16" that is 1 3/4" back from the outside edge? Most around here do. I call that the "nose" of the sill. IF you have this "nose", then imagine a straight line running side to side where this sort of drops of, and mark it accordingly. Now let's say you want to put in the wider Craftsman type windows, and they are wider than the existing sill. I use a Dremel Multimax and cut along this line form side to side until the nose comes off. Now fit the new casing/brickmold to the window and cut you a new nose piece the correct length to match up with the casing. Before securing the new nose piece, I use liquid nails basically as a sealer and then #8 galvinized finishing nails every 8". Set the nails and fill in. If I'm thinking correctly on this project this should work and look original. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote