Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

Share |

Do I change the sills when adding window trim?

House was built in 2005. 2 mill in market ht. lots of arched window. Builder (owner) did a nice job on these windows on the outside, but did not trim them out on the inside. They only have wooden sill, that extend 2 inches on the sides..allowing for trim work. If money was no object, should I rip out the old sill & apron and start all over. If not I can only install a piece of trim that is 1 5/8 wide around the windows. Will that look cheap since the wider the molding the more architectural impressive? . The ceiling ht varies from 10 - 12 ft & up throughout the house. Was going to stick with the same "chair rail" trim which they used as casing on the doors. It looks nice, just not sure it will look right with such high ceilings. Question # 2. Do I have room for the window jams? What material? Or do I just sand & paint the dry wall the trim color? Thanks for your thoughts!
Trying to figure out how to post pic? Can I do this from an I pad?
Attached Images

Last edited by jojomac; 10-21-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: pic
jojomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #2

Ya that picture is going to be a real help on this one.
Not sure from your description why it would be all that expancive to replace the stool and aprin.
You can buy stock stools up to about 5-1/4" wide.
I use them all the time, it gives the ladys a place to set there plants, knick knacks or one of those Christmas candles.
I also paint the stools with enamel paint so it holds up better and should not be effected as much if water gets spilled when watering a plant set on it.

There's dozens of other profiles for casing that would look better then using chair rail in my opion.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jojomac (10-21-2012), mae-ling (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks, was trying to add the chair rail molding used for the door casing.. Here we are..
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

Looks like they did a sheetrock return instead of casing.
I wonder how it would work if you left everything in place and sort of lined the jamb area with 1X (go right over the sheetrock) clear pine. That would gain you 1/2 to install wider casing, not much room, but some.

If I had to do this job I'd at least try one window and use my ossilating saw to break the seal of caulking (if there is one) at the drywall to stool area, make two cuts in the stool so a middle section can be removed, slightly lift it up with a flat bar and use a sawsall to cut off the nails in stool and slide it straight out.
Then remove the aprin.
Should be able to do it with min. damage.

Other wise your going to have to remove all the outside metal corners and the sheetrock jambs to get the stool out.
With that style trim make sure the stool also sticks out far enough so the trim does not over hang the stool.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

As Joe mentioned, a re jamb is in order if there is enough window frame to allow for it. Can you post a pic of the thickness of the window frame where the drywall butts against the window? otherwise the drywall will have to go and then re jamb

Also, there is some 5 1/2" x 1/2" clear pine siding that I've used in tight fit situations like jambs and what not.

edit... you mentioned arched windows too so you might need to use a standard type window/door trim for your windows because you will need flex trim to go around the arches and you will maybe not find flex trim in a chair rail profile.

Last edited by hand drive; 10-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

Hi! Thanks for you reply, Hand Drive. My window jam measures 5 inches in depth.
I am going to post the picture of the small (flex trim) chair rail that I found at
Lowes. These would suffice in trimming out my arches, too. I was just
wondering if it is enough, or am I "cheap-ing the house look, with just the picture frame technique. Since it measures 1 5/8 which is a lot narrowing then typical window casing.
I am holding this molding in place, while I shoot this picture. This is not installed, yet? Also if I simply picture frame it, should I paint the jam the trim color? Or keep the wall color? Thanks in advance for all you thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I change the sills when adding window trim?-photo-5.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

the house we bought had no trim around the windows and had marble sills. i removed the drywall and corner bead that was nailed every 18 inches and installed new jambs and trim. i made sills from pieces of the same hardwood i was putting on the floor. since i was painting it i used mdf which 8-10 dollars a window for the jambs and i used mdf trim also.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I change the sills when adding window trim?-p1050436s.jpg  
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Just because the home costs 2 million in your area, does not make it worth 2 million in others. I have seen a lot of higher end homes with no trip around the top, left or right. My parents house that they lived in, that was worth around $70,000 only had the ledge, no trim around it.

If you think that adding the trim around the window is going to up the value, I would go with more custom trim work, vs. off the shelf cheap trim. People can tell the difference between the two, without even trying.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomac View Post
Hi! Thanks for you reply, Hand Drive. My window jam measures 5 inches in depth.
I am going to post the picture of the small (flex trim) chair rail that I found at
Lowes. These would suffice in trimming out my arches, too. I was just
wondering if it is enough, or am I "cheap-ing the house look, with just the picture frame technique. Since it measures 1 5/8 which is a lot narrowing then typical window casing.
I am holding this molding in place, while I shoot this picture. This is not installed, yet? Also if I simply picture frame it, should I paint the jam the trim color? Or keep the wall color? Thanks in advance for all you thoughts.
A smaller profile trim will look bad especially on a larger window. The window trim should match what is on the doors presently and the new window stool should stick past both of the outer edges of the window trim by at least 1/2", I always install the stool past the trim and onto the wall 1" with a return back to the wall.
adding wood window jambs in place of the drywall to match the new trim is the best option but trim over drywall will look the same way unless it is a horrible drywall job. You would also have to be careful not to blow out the drywall corner bead while installing the trim. If it were not for the arches I would recommend tearing out drywall jamb to replace with the wooden jamb.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #10

Yea, these damn arches are matching all my window treatments very difficult. Is that why they went with the sheet rock jams & not molding?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomac View Post
Yea, these damn arches are matching all my window treatments very difficult. Is that why they went with the sheet rock jams & not molding?
many house have sheetrock jambs, it is one of the ways to build them. It is cheaper to mud the arches instead of full out window archway trim kits so yes most likely to your question.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

If you can figure out who made the windows often times they sell a premade trim kit for that arch.
Here's some other ideas on how it could be done.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ndow&FORM=IGRE