Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |

"DIY wood countertop" - is it really DIY?

To put this in context (and so y'all will forgive my lack of woodwork knowledge) I am a housewife but would love to consider myself a handyman part time! I want to make a wood countertop for my kitchen island. I found a company that makes "DIY wood countertops" and I want to try my hand at it but I am concerned about the finishing/cutting process.

I want to have a sink cut out and can use the jigsaw for that presumably but I have very little experience. I would also finish it with their recommended finish (waterlox tung oil).

Has anyone on here ever used the Craft Art DIY wood countertops? Are they really solid wood? Can you really do the finishing touches yourself without a wood shop? Here is a link to their DIY stuff.

http://store.craft-art.com/index.php...parent=35&pg=1

and here are their recommended finishing instructions
http://www.craft-art.com/wp-content/...s-08112011.pdf

Have you used them? Do you know anyone who has? Do you think little old me can really DIY a wood countertop/wood island top?

Thanks in advance!
Beth
ranchmakeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
DIY staff

I have bought butcher block tops from L.L. Johnson in Michigan and from Owl Hardwood in Illinois and cut sanded and finished them ---It's wood---they are not difficult to do unless you have a mitered corner.

You will need a jigsaw for the sink cut out --I would use a Circular saw and use the jigsaw for the corners because its faster,but you could do the entire cut with a jig saw.

A tip---make the four long cuts leaving a bit uncut in each corner ---(to support the cut out) then nip out the four corners.

A random orbit sander (or an old pad sander) will make fast work of smoothing out the surface.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchmakeover View Post
To put this in context (and so y'all will forgive my lack of woodwork knowledge) I am a housewife but would love to consider myself a handyman part time! I want to make a wood countertop for my kitchen island. I found a company that makes "DIY wood countertops" and I want to try my hand at it but I am concerned about the finishing/cutting process.

I want to have a sink cut out and can use the jigsaw for that presumably but I have very little experience. I would also finish it with their recommended finish (waterlox tung oil).

Has anyone on here ever used the Craft Art DIY wood countertops? Are they really solid wood? Can you really do the finishing touches yourself without a wood shop? Here is a link to their DIY stuff.

http://store.craft-art.com/index.php...parent=35&pg=1

and here are their recommended finishing instructions
http://www.craft-art.com/wp-content/...s-08112011.pdf

Have you used them? Do you know anyone who has? Do you think little old me can really DIY a wood countertop/wood island top?

Thanks in advance!
Beth
Is this the same company where the owners were arrested for running a white slavery and prostitution ring?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Is this the same company where the owners were arrested for running a white slavery and prostitution ring?

Post a link to that one---
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Post a link to that one---
Wouldn't that be spicy spam?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
DIY staff

Now I'm going to have to go fix some breakfast!----MMMMmmmm spicy Spam MMmmmm
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #7

Ron6519 - I did some extensive research because A. that was hilarious and B. I probably shouldn't buy from a company like that... but as yet, no successful results on my google searches about prostitutes/slaves/do-it-yourself wood countertops. I will keep that in mind though.. Oh, and C. Now my work laptop has prostitution searches on it that probably will be difficult to explain. woops.

oh'mike - Thanks for the tips on the cut out and sanding. I will definitely do that. I am not doing a miter joint, thank god. I won't have a joint at all because they have a size that works perfectly. (they have a bunch of standard sizes you can pick from).

You sound like you know your stuff - Ron feel free to jump in too : ) - how do you feel about using a tack cloth after sanding and before oiling? The company I am buying from recommends using one. I have heard mixed reviews on that. Someone told me that it can affect the finish because of the resin on the tack cloth. Did you experience that problem?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
DIY staff

I use tack cloths all the time---and I have for 40 years --You need them for the final wipe--

I never had a problem--Mike---
Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

"-It's wood-" That was insanely helpful / insanely simple advice. Love it.

Thanks, Mike. I will follow up and post pics of my project so you can see how much you helped!
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchmakeover For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-20-2011)

Tags
butcher block, butcherblock, wood counter top, wood countertop, wood island