Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Outbuilding 24' x 32' Sheathing Help Wanted

Round Two of my endless questions...
Please see my first post for building specs here:
http://www.diychatroom.com/showthread.php?t=319

For my shop/outbuilding... I'm curious as to the outside finish.

Remember, this is an outbuilding / shop.. not a house.

Originally, I had planned on sheathing the exterior walls with 3/8" OSB, then house wrap, then either 4x8 Sheet siding or 12" lap siding.

My question is, if I simply place a moisture barrier on the outside of the framed walls, can I eliminate the OSB sheathing and just install the 4x8 or lap siding over that? I've seen this done on outbuildings before but am curious if that seriously compromises the structural integrity or something else, of the building.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
-L

LockDownLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #2

I am just a DIYer but from what I have read and seen the extra siding (OSB as in your case) would make the building stronger and the outside siding would lay better once installed. I would go with the extra work and cost of adding the OSB. This is not something that you can do later. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun

Mark

wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Hello Texas,

I'd say you'd be fine to put on the hs wrap then go over it with what we call carhard siding up this way, 4'x8' sheets of plywood like material has vertical scored lines on one side smooth on the other. This would be the cheapest & easiest way out & for a shop in your area it'll do, do want some decent batted or blown insulation in the walls & ceiling if you're planning or heating or clloing the place, I know some parts of west Texas get some nasty winters! You definitely need to primer & paint that with some good exterior paint pretty quick. You could put the osb under it if you wanted, but not absolutely necessary.

Now if you want this to last forever, throw some vinyl or better yet fibercement siding over 7/16" osb sheathing. The fibercement will need to be stained or painted, only way out of painting is to go with metal or vinyl.

Most out buildings up my way they are going with the pro panel metal skin, for roof & walls. Paint is baked on & doesn't require painting for 50 yrs, comes in 8', 10', 12', 16', & 20' lengths; 3' wide, actually little wider, but that's your profile when lapped properly. This is a 3 ribbed panel, not the corregated stuff I'm talking about. They also have all the accessories for these bldgs, soffit, fascia, door trim, rat guard, etc.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
2pyrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDownLance
Round Two of my endless questions...
Please see my first post for building specs here:
http://www.diychatroom.com/showthread.php?t=319

For my shop/outbuilding... I'm curious as to the outside finish.

Remember, this is an outbuilding / shop.. not a house.

Originally, I had planned on sheathing the exterior walls with 3/8" OSB, then house wrap, then either 4x8 Sheet siding or 12" lap siding.

My question is, if I simply place a moisture barrier on the outside of the framed walls, can I eliminate the OSB sheathing and just install the 4x8 or lap siding over that? I've seen this done on outbuildings before but am curious if that seriously compromises the structural integrity or something else, of the building.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
-L
Ok help the dumb guy. You are building a pole barn yes? My neighbor has a 24 x 32 work shop garage he built 10 15 years ago and I have a little wood shop barn 12 x 16 and we only put t1-11 ($17.00 per sheet) on the outside, 1 x 6ís from pole to pole, stain and trim. Inside R13 and vapor barrier 6mil. At the time I was able to get Luan 4 x 8ís real cheap so I put that up on inside walls. Warm and dry here by the lake in Ohio. I donít know about cost but if you are going for good looks siding is better looking. As to strength I saw a program on DIY where they used Styrofoam board only on I think 2 x 6ís and then siding it. Just a few thoughts and what we did.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-8848709-7446420

2pyrs
2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
2pyrs

[quote=housedocs]
Most out buildings up my way they are going with the pro panel metal skin, for roof & walls. This is a 3 ribbed panel, not the corregated stuff I'm talking about.

A friend of the family had a one of those metal sheds here, the old airplane hanger type you know Gomer Pile barracks from the old days in the service. They were hot in the summer and darn cold in the winter. They would sweat like crazy when you would warm them up inside and pop as they would expand from the heat. I was wondering about the effect of those famous Texas wind storms on the metal and wood.
When I lived in Nevada some years back if you did not put your car inside it would have know paint left on it by the end of a day after sand storm, funny to see one side looking like new and the other bare metal.
2pyrs
2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

If allowed by code you can use let-in braces instead of sheathing.
Just siding it with anything less than thick siding (which I don't see any more) and you will have a collapse.

So let-ins will be the bare minimum to having a sturdy structure.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer
If allowed by code you can use let-in braces instead of sheathing.
Just siding it with anything less than thick siding (which I don't see any more) and you will have a collapse.

So let-ins will be the bare minimum to having a sturdy structure.
You got me you old post's from the past. I am sure this project is complete. sheesh :D

JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote