DIY Carriage Garage Doors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

DIY carriage garage doors

I was thinking of eventually installing real carriage doors on my garage (not painting/adding veneers to the existing overhead door). My garage is too small for a car anyway, and it would offer me greater flexibility in adding a garage attic if I could just do away with the overhead door altogether.

I've looked up information on garage carriage doors, and all I can find is how to add veneer to an overhead door, or at the opposite end of the spectrum, where to buy extremely expensive custom-built hardwood carriage doors.

So what I want to know is, how hard can it possibly be to rip out an overhead door and build a swinging double door in its stead? It seems anyone capable of building a garden gate could do this, but it doesn't seem that anyone HAS done this and written about it. I grew up in a house with a detached garage with swinging doors that were just made out of dimensional pine. Anybody got plans? Should I look at barn doors, perchance?

Advertisement

whammytap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

It really depends on how wide the doors are and what kind of hinges you want to use. Making sure that they don't sag would be the hardest thing to do. And you could always put a wheel at each end so that they will roll out as you open them.

Advertisement

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sausagefingers For This Useful Post:
whammytap (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I did this about 3 years ago. There wasn't any door on the carriage house but it was framed in for a door. I built mine from 3/8 plywood siding with a 1 by 4 lumber frame around the perimeter on both sides screwed together for rigidity. Also some extra 1 by 4 on the front in a decorative pattern that helps add more rigidity. Each of the two doors are almost 8 feet wide and pretty heavy. I used big hinges available from the Borg. I guess they were gate hinges. They mount on the surface and there are 3 of them on each door. If interested I could post a picture. Because of the weight it is a must that the hinges (whatever kind you use) are screwed into framing members and not just though the trim. Also, I found out after the fact that I should have allowed more clearance on the bottom as the cement pad outside wasn't exactly flat and the door rubbed and bound up on a high spot. I'm planning on cutting a bit more off the bottom and finding some kind of rubber strip that will seal out the leaves and such. I used an idea I saw online somewhere to use a regular garage door opener to open and close the door. It works very well. They have been up about 3 years now with no problem except a sag on one side because I didn't get the hinges on that side into framing.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike in Arkansas For This Useful Post:
whammytap (06-07-2011)

Tags
carriage doors , garage carriage doors