Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dining Room table

I need a larger table for my dining room (family of 5 eating at a 4 seater). I'm looking to be as frugal as possible and was wondering how difficult it would be to build a table top that just sits over my current table and attaches to it.

If anybody has any suggestions or plans that would be great! The main thing I'm worried about is making the new top too long or too wide for the smaller base and causing it to be unstable. Are there any general guidelines for how much overhang is acceptable? Or how thick the legs need to be to support a larger table?

davelock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Dining Room table

I am sure somewhere there is an engineer capable of figuring this out, but in reality, it depends on a lot of factors. Weight, material, etc.

When you do the top, just use common sense and when you place it on there to "test fit" it, you'll be able to manhandle the table and see how stable it is.

I think common sense must prevail, and just make certain it is stable in every possible scenario you can imagine it.

With kids and or pets, they will knock it over if it can be knocked over, so just be really, really sure.

You can also buy second hand tables on craigslist for a song. So much stuff out there for sale, I would take that route.

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Dining Room table

I would experiment wit a piece of plywood. I would think that 6" all around would probably be ok. Use a lot of screws underneath to secure it to the old one. Sheet of 3/4" oak ply is probably $45, and some 1x2 oak edging would probably be $25.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Dining Room table

I agree with oldhouseguy. Find a table on one of those sites. You would be amazed at what a great paint job in an up to date color can do in making an old piece of furniture look like a one of a kind work of art. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
I am sure somewhere there is an engineer capable of figuring this out, but in reality, it depends on a lot of factors. Weight, material, etc.

When you do the top, just use common sense and when you place it on there to "test fit" it, you'll be able to manhandle the table and see how stable it is.

I think common sense must prevail, and just make certain it is stable in every possible scenario you can imagine it.

With kids and or pets, they will knock it over if it can be knocked over, so just be really, really sure.

You can also buy second hand tables on craigslist for a song. So much stuff out there for sale, I would take that route.
allpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

Dining Room table

How much bigger?
12" longer and about 3" wider I have seen done with a plywood top over the existing table, it kinda clamped in place.
For a more permenant idea
I got 4 used table legs and a sheet of birch plywood and made a nice large table. Looked good with a cloth on it as we always had one on anyway, so all you really saw was the legs anyway.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote