Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Difference between carpenter and framer

What is the difference between the two? Do framers just construct housing (install walls, trusses, etc)? Are all framers considered carpenters? I need to replace a header and I'm not sure of the correct terminology.

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Carpenters are involved in many different kinds of construction, from the building of highways and bridges to the installation of kitchen cabinets. Carpenters construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures made from wood and other materials.
Each carpentry task is somewhat different, but most involve the same basic steps. Working from blueprints or instructions from supervisors, carpenters first do the layout—measuring, marking, and arranging materials—in accordance with local building codes. They cut and shape wood, plastic, fiberglass, or drywall using hand and power tools, such as chisels, planes, saws, drills, and sanders. They then join the materials with nails, screws, staples, or adhesives. In the last step, carpenters do a final check of the accuracy of their work with levels, rules, plumb bobs, framing squares, and surveying equipment, and make any necessary adjustments.
When working with prefabricated components, such as stairs or wall panels, the carpenter’s task is somewhat simpler because it does not require as much layout work or the cutting and assembly of as many pieces. Prefabricated components are designed for easy and fast installation and generally can be installed in a single operation.
Some carpenters do many different carpentry tasks, while others specialize in one or two. Carpenters who remodel homes and other structures, for example, need a broad range of carpentry skills. As part of a single job, for example, they might frame walls and partitions, put in doors and windows, build stairs, install cabinets and molding, and complete many other tasks. Because these carpenters are so well-trained, they often can switch from residential building to commercial construction or remodeling work, depending on which offers the best work opportunities.
Carpenters who work for large construction contractors or specialty contractors may perform only a few regular tasks, such as constructing wooden forms for pouring concrete, o erecting scaffolding. Some carpenters build tunnel bracing, or brattices, in underground passageways and mines to control the circulation of air through the passageways and to worksites. Others build concrete forms for tunnel, bridge, or sewer construction projects.
Carpenters employed outside the construction industry perform a variety of installation and maintenance work. They may replace panes of glass, ceiling tiles, and doors, as well as repair desks, cabinets, and other furniture. Depending on the employer, carpenters install partitions, doors, and windows; change locks; and repair broken furniture. In manufacturing firms, carpenters may assist in moving or installing machinery. (For more information on workers who install machinery, BOB Go with a remodeling contractor/ carpenter.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
What is the difference between the two? Do framers just construct housing (install walls, trusses, etc)? Are all framers considered carpenters? I need to replace a header and I'm not sure of the correct terminology.
As stated by bob, carpentry covers a large area of the construction trades, building industry, and specialty areas.

There are carpenters that don't do alot of framing.

There are framers, that only do rough framing, and no other kinds of carpentry.

There are framers that do rough framing, trim-out, and siding.

So to answer your particular questions:

Quote:
Do framers just construct housing (install walls, trusses, etc)?
Yes.
That catagory of "Frame Carpentry" (or frame carpenters) - refers specifically to those that build/construct the rough framing of wood-frame structures.

Quote:
Are all framers considered carpenters?
No.
Many framers are skilled at multiple levels of the trades. But there are some that are limited in their knowledge and training to just rough framing (little, to no-knowledge, of finished carpentry)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #4

Don't let a framer do any finish work. Their idea of a finish nail is a 12d and a trim piece is a 2x2.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments. I have one more question. I noticed that different terminology is used for framing. For example with the header assembly, I have heard the supporting studs called jacks and trimmers. The adjacent stud is referred to as king or common stud. Does it just depend on the person you are speaking to? What is the proper terminology, or is there no difference?
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Don't let a framer do any finish work. .
I second that. Not painting framers as bad carpenters, it's just that it is two different mindsets about the speed and accuracy of the work.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
All trades carpenter

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I have one more question. I noticed that different terminology is used for framing. For example with the header assembly, I have heard the supporting studs called jacks and trimmers. The adjacent stud is referred to as king or common stud. Does it just depend on the person you are speaking to? What is the proper terminology, or is there no difference?
No difference. Kinda like sheetrock/drywall.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
I second that. Not painting framers as bad carpenters, it's just that it is two different mindsets about the speed and accuracy of the work.
Exactly.

Framers do a great job at putting up a building.

I look at a carpenter as an all around woodworker who can do a lot of different kinds of wood work especially in remodeling. Framers get lost when they have to tear apart something and alter a wall to put in a door or window and then replace the siding in the new opening.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Custom Deck Builder

Quote:
Difference between carpenter and framer?
Cut Tolerances:

Framer - within an 1/8" (uses a carpenter pencil to mark cuts)
Carpenter - 1/32" or higher (uses a utility knife to mark cuts)

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #10

In Cincinnati we use the term cripple for a short stud that supports a header and stud for the standard sizes,A framer is a carpenter that mostly frames,I worked on a metal stud framing job were a couple guys said they couldn't use a saw.Me as a carpenter I do roofing,tile,decks,steps,install cabinets,windows,molding including crown,baseboard,chair rail,door casting,window sills,frame new homes,room additions,I mostly rehab which a lot different than new construction.You will find a lot of guys that can build new but have problems rehabbing,The problem is with new you are in control if you have square foundation you can build a square building,Now take an old house that has settle a bit you have doors out of square,floors out of level so you can't take anything for granted. I love it but there are always things to figure out plaster seperates from the lathe. I have worked on them where the floor was out 6" from one corner to the other and the owner wants the floor level.Carpentry is a trade where you keep learnig regards Rob
super carpenter Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #11

A carpenter hand nails while framing to have the control offered by hand nailing the lumber and will use finishing nailers for trim. The framer will use a nail gun to frame and hand nail the trim!
Promontoryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promontoryrider View Post
A carpenter hand nails while framing to have the control offered by hand nailing the lumber and will use finishing nailers for trim. The framer will use a nail gun to frame and hand nail the trim!
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
General Contractor

To OP:
Cripple: A stud that does not extend all the way from the the bottom plate to the top plate, due to an opening in the wall.
Header: A horizontal member carrying loads from other members and directing the loads around an opening.
Jack/ Trimmer stud: A short beam or stud that supports the header over a opening to transfer structural loads from header top bottom plate. Terminology is interchangeable and somewhat geographical in nature.
King stud: Full length stud on either side of opening.
Stud: A vertical framing member. Conventional construction commonly uses 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 spaced 16" or 24" O.C.
Plate: A horizontal framing member used to tie together interior and exterior wall framing. The width of the plate corresponds to the thickness of the wall. Typically each wall has three plates: a bottom (may be called a sole plate or sill plate) and two top plates.
I think the definition of a carpenter and the various aspects of what they do has been fairly well covered and as this thread is nearly a year old this is probably a useless post.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #14

About $20
Peterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #15

If things don't change, they will stay as they are!

Last edited by Peterw; 09-15-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Peterw is offline   Reply With Quote