DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Determining pitch and birdsmouth cuts

25K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  adam_withrow 
#1 ·
My building I'm constructing is 12 ft wide, shed roof. The front wall is full 10' studs(plus the 3 plates) The back wall is 8' common(92 5/8") studs. I'm not using ceiling joists. I'm having a hard time figuring the pitch and how to cut the birdsmouth for the 2x6 rafters. Please help this novice builder. I want a 2'overhang on both front and back. Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

You can just hold a piece of rafter stock up against the two walls where you want the rafter positioned and “scribe” the birds mouth. You can then transfer the plumb cut of the BM to the plumb cut of the rafter tails. Then use that first rafter for a pattern to cut the rest.

You can build the entire thing without ever having to know what the pitch is.

Reactions: ktee
#3 ·
Thank you, I appreciate the info and the welcome. I've been lurking for a long time and have learned a lot. I'm just a wannabe carpenter, who is having a great time building a small passive solar building. You have solved what I thought was going to be a big problem, the math was beyond me! Thanks again!

#4 ·
Glad to help, sometimes the best solutions are the simplest ones.

Good luck with the rest of your solar project. Post some pictures in the “project showcase” section if you like. I’m sure your solar building would interest many.

#7 ·
in the future, just compare rise to run. in your case, you have 2' of rise in 12' of run.

sooooooooooo....

reduce that number so your run is 12" and you've got your common pitch.

for example, a 6/12 pitch roof rises 6 inches for every 12 inches the roof runs.

in your case, and you got lucky with your dimensions, you have a 2/12 pitch.

that means you use the 2 common mark on your speed square.

thennnnnnnn....

find the complimentary angle to that (subtract actual degrees from 90) and make your line from the stop point on the first line to the point where the actual degree number causes the two lines to intersect.

so 2 common is 10 degrees (ish) and the complimentary angle to that is 80 degrees.

OR you can just use your framing square and do a 90 off of your first line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.