Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

decorative trim and chair rail. What are the rules to make it look good?

That's my "blank palet". I've decided to put at chair rail at 34" from the ground and to paint it and everything below high gloss white. I want to do decorative trim, like take molding stock, cut it 45 degrees to form picture frame squares. How far from the baseboard? How far from the chair rail? What about the windows? Are there a set of rules to follow to make it the most pleasing it can be?

Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Link:

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35749546

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #3

I did something similar on my builders special doors. To figure out the preportions of the picture molding (going for panel look) I cut some sample pieces and used painters tape to tape them where I thought I wanted them. If they looked too high/low/wide/skinny it was easy to move until I had the size I wanted. Then and only then did the glue and nails come out.

There are no hard and fast rules, just what looks in proportion.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

IMHO, unless you are willing to put in some extra work, that room should be left as is.
The reason I say this is because I personally don't care much for the look of chair rail unless it is used in conjunction with wainscoting. I much prefer a nice recessed panel style wainscot over this method or the beadboard look..(hate it)
At the very least, you should paint the wall under the chair rail white (or whatever color you intend to paint the trim in the room) to mimic the look of wainscot, then add some picture frames or something...
Another reason is because, from the picture, it looks like you have drywall returns and just a decorative/fake stool and apron at the bottom, but no wood frame on which to attach casing.
In that case you would either have to stop the casing with self-returns at the edge of the drywall, or return them into the window...which would probably interfere with your blinds....which dont look right with all that victorian style trim you want to put in.
If it were my house, I would trim out the windows with a wood jamb, a real stool and apron, and some casing. That way you could just but the chair rail into the casing and it would look fine.

I could go on, but I don't want to discourage you too much....I just personally dont care for the look of a chair rail band by itself, and your room, with those type of windows doesn't lend itself to that look without a lot of other work. If you are located in So. Ca. by any chance....I would love to trick that room out for you. Looks like a nice house BTW....good luck.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the links, advice and compliments about the house! I live in middle GA, coming ot Altanta anytime soon? lol. Started the project yesterday. Got all the window trim and chair rail installed. Also finished window frames on one of the three walls. Two to go. My main question was how to "center" the frames. I had some extra 1/2x3 1/2 so I just centered the frames at 3.5". The bottom of the frame is 3.5" from the baseboard, the top of the frame is 3.5 from the chair rail, etc. I'm painting from the chair rail down high gloss white. Next on my list crown moldings. I also want to add crowns them to the top of my cabinets, yet the staining is going to be tough part. Also, my furniture came in, a wide china cabinet and a wide buffet. I'd say those two items cover 40% of my walls, lol.

What else can you guys suggest to "trick out" the house? I only have the nail gun/compressor for 28 more days, lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #6

Here's the finished product!

In short...I first did window trim, then the chair rail...Then used a 3.5X1 as a border to put up the "judge panels"...Sanded all the mitered corners, nailsetted all nails, spackled all nail holes and mitered corners, sanded all spackle, caulk the top and bottom of the rails and judge panels and paint.

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 10-17-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #7

Looks great! Congratulations.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks! Again, I think to stick with the original thread, a very simple way is to keep the same border is to cut a piece of stock you want as a border...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #9

Now I have to fire up the mitre saw and get back to work. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Looks great....you need a job?...lol
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
Looks great....you need a job?...lol
If I'm able to flip this house, I won't need a job ever, lol. I was watching one of those flipping shows, I think flip this house in Atlanta and they added a simular thing. They said it cost $500 and it added $3000 in equity! I doubt that'll do anything more than raise the demand, but it sure would be nice to know that my $300 investment (plus a lot of time) would raise the value by a four digit figure...