Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deck Stairs with landing ?

How would I figure out how to build some stairs with a landing. The total rise is 8'-6 5/8". We were just thinking of splitting up the steps equally. They will be 4' wide. So would I have to build a 4'x4' Landing.

Were trying to figure out how to figure out where to dig the holes for the post. Also when adding a landing wouldn't it push the total run of the stairs out another 4'. The old stairs sit on a sidewalk but I was thinking if the landing is added it will push it out and then they will sit on the grass and will have to also make a concrete landing for the stringers to sit on.

BDestroyer8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

I would plan it out in two stages. At 102 5/8" you would need 14 steps@ about a 7" rise and an 11" run. Set the posts for the landing and build the stairs to the landing. Build the stringers for the lower section and dry fit them. Dig the base where the stringers indicate they should go.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post
How would I figure out how to build some stairs with a landing. The total rise is 8'-6 5/8". We were just thinking of splitting up the steps equally. They will be 4' wide. So would I have to build a 4'x4' Landing.

Were trying to figure out how to figure out where to dig the holes for the post. Also when adding a landing wouldn't it push the total run of the stairs out another 4'. The old stairs sit on a sidewalk but I was thinking if the landing is added it will push it out and then they will sit on the grass and will have to also make a concrete landing for the stringers to sit on.
If you want the landing in the middle of the flight, you will need 13 risers (7.89" ea.rise) or 15 risers (6.84" ea.rise). The first flight will have 6 or 7 treads and the second flight will have 6 or 7 treads depending on the number of risers you choose. The landing height is positioned at the same height as a the center tread and the two stair runs are attached. You may want to build the landing a little longer so that the top run can rest on top of the landing and be attached or you can also simply attach to the face of the landing using metal ties.

The concrete pad should be a minimum of 4" thick with #4's at 16" max. centers. I would thicken the section where the stair rests to 6". If you really want to make the stairs simple to install, get an adjustable stair bracket system. I use EZ Stairs and it works great.Hope this helps.

Last edited by BigJim; 02-20-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Link deleted
Deckman100 is offline   Reply With Quote