Deck Stairs Issue...... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Deck Stairs issue......

So I am in the process of building my stairs on my deck and I am using Choicedek from Lowes. I like the stuff for the deck boards but the ends of the stairs have like 3 waves on the bottom of the boards. Now if I run the stair tread planks off the edges of the stringers/treads like you normally would do it will look awful in my opinion because from a side view of the stairs you would see the 3 humps on the bottom of the choicedek.

I am thinking I will cut the boards so they are flush with the edges of the stair treads and then install actual trim boards flush up against the composite planks. I will then take the trim boards back to the actual deck running horizontal so it will be a boxed in set of stairs. I am not sure I can do much more.

Anyone have any other suggestions or am I on the right track?

Advertisement

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Deck Stairs issue......

Another way to cover up the stringers and the treads is to use the composite fascia board that's really made to cover up the rim joist.
I set the stringer on it to act as a template and cut the two ends. Once the treads are in place I trace and cut the top part, use a round over bit and a sander to finish it before installing.

Advertisement