Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

deck repairs

ok, so my deck stairs are done (I had a string going about that recently, thanks to all) now my sights are set on repairing a part of that deck where the weather hits it real bad! (some of the wood is rotten) one thing that is rotten right at the end is a 2x6 that seems to run the entire length of the deck. (has to be a 24 footer) it has the joist hangers nailed into it. my question is whether I can replace that 2x6 up to the first 4x4 post (I'd cut the 2xx6 with my recip. saw) or must I replace the whole dang thing? replacing the entire 2x6 would be a royal pain in the buttbut I'll do it if I have to. I figured that replacing up to that first post would still give it structural strength since the 2x6 would be resting on top of a 4x4 that goes right down to the concrete.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #2

deck repairs

Pictures would sure help us picture the situation.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

deck repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Pictures would sure help us picture the situation.
yeah,I'll take some tomorrow and post 'em

tnx,
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #4

deck repairs

here are the pix. the rotten 2x6 (it's rotten only at the very end) runs all the way to the other end of the deck at the spotlight. I was hoping to replace the rotten part up to the next 4x4 and leave the rest of that 2x6 alone. I know I'd have structural strengh in the downward direction since the new piece of 2x6 would sit on top of that next 4x4 which goes right down to the concrete. the lateral strength would still be there too since although you can't see it in these pix,the upper 4x4's run to the roof of the house. so what do you guys think? do I need to replace that whole,long, 2x6 or can I just replace that first 8' section?

tnx,
Attached Thumbnails
deck repairs-rotten-2x6.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #5

deck repairs

the other pic that didn't make it
Attached Thumbnails
deck repairs-deck-under.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

deck repairs

Hehe, reminds me of my deck project, one board led to another.... and another.... then to one joist.... and then another joist.... and finally to a whole new deck and a new patio door.

I'm not an expert but I would say it's not an ideal repair, but may be sufficient. How far is the span to the next 4X4 post? That span will dictate if one 2X6 is sufficient, or if you need two, or maybe 2X8 or 2X10. But anything other than one 2X6 gets complicated.

Is that a 2X4 perpendicular to the bottom of said 2X6 joist? How is the condition of that? The end looks like it could be replaced soon too. However, it looks like the post sits on top of it so I am not sure what to do there.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Household Handyman

deck repairs

I've seen that particular style of deck construction before, it's called: (I can't talk like that on this forum). It really doesn't matter what I call it, the deck is there and he needs to repair it. Thanks for the pictures,they cleared up a lot of questions. I build and repair decks in my business and I would look at this project this way: The current construction consists of the 2 x 4 laying flat, with the 2 x 6 edge-up on top of that, running from one 4 x 4 post to another. To me it doesn't matter the span between these two 4 x 4 post, the current "beam" is there as is. I would look at cutting out the current 2 x 4 and the 2 x 6, to replace the both of them with PT wood of course. It appears you have removed one 2 x 6 perpendicular to the rotted one, is this to be replaced also? IF this rotted wood was PT to start with, you have a water/moisture collection problem in this area. Check for proper drainage at this corner, and check ventilation/air travel in this area as it looks to have held water for some reason. I'd be surprised, if not shocked, to find out the 2 x 4 does not have some rot in it because of it being placed flat and will retain water running down the 2 x 6. I'd say go for it. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #8

deck repairs

the deck is 30 years old. I'm real lucky the only rotten wood seems to be in this corner.
any ideas how to cut the 2x6 at the 2nd post? my original idea of using my recip. saw is looking more and more difficult.

tnx,
Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

deck repairs

Good Lord! Did you say the roof of your house is being supported by those butted vertical 4x4's? To me, replacing them with some serious columns would be a priority. The undersized 2x6's would almost be a secondary concern.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #10

deck repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Good Lord! Did you say the roof of your house is being supported by those butted vertical 4x4's? To me, replacing them with some serious columns would be a priority. The undersized 2x6's would almost be a secondary concern.
what in blazes you been smokin' willie? I never said any such thing! I don't think even the most "shlockey" builder would try to get away with that! (let alone passing inspection)

tnx,
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #11

deck repairs

I think he saw this

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
the upper 4x4's run to the roof of the house. so what do you guys think?
tnx,
I did see a roof over the deck I think in another pic/thread?
Is the deck roof seperate from the house roof?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #12

deck repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I think he saw this

I did see a roof over the deck I think in another pic/thread?
Is the deck roof seperate from the house roof?
the roof of the house extends over the deck. the upper 4x4's just run into the roof and are attached there. the house itself would stand firmly even if no deck existed. (although it would look funny with 9' of roof extending over nothing)

tnx,
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

deck repairs

9' of cantilevered roof structure on a house that has a 30 year old deck built like that, and we're positive those 4x4's aren't helping support it? Ok, I'm convinced... let's all light up another one.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #14

deck repairs

Number 78: outside stairs (deck)
So you have 2-2x6's sitting on a 2x4 for a built-up beam, spanning how far to the next 4x4?
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #15

deck repairs

I never said the guy that built my house was some sort of "all star"!
in fact,the more of the deck I take apart,the more I can see all the shortcuts. but,no surprise there since I've been seeing his various "hacks" ever since I moved in. if I had hundreds of thousands of dollars just laying around,I would absolutely tear this house down and build a brand spanking new one with me supervising every step of the way!

btw: the span between 4x4's is about 8'

tnx,