Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #1

Share |

Deck Repair/Replace

I have a deck on the second floor where the joists go straight into the house.
Most of them are rotted so I need to replace it. Is the only way to go to cut them off flush and lag a ledger board to it, or is there a better/safer way?

Pics can be found here:
http://www.michaelbur************.com/deck/
The filter blocked the last 4 letters in my last name. 4 letters, part of the male body, ryhmes with stick. :-)

Thanks!

Last edited by mikey1377; 09-13-2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Filter blocked last name
mikey1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Deck Repair/Replace

A lot more info would be helpful on offering an answer. How big is the deck, is it supported with columns other than just at the outer edge, what is the material of the house (brick, weatherboard, etc.), how extensive is the rotted areas, etc.

Lagging a ledger into the ends of the existing joists is not an option, as they are rotten. Depending on the exterior cladding, it may be possible to remove some siding and secure a new ledger to the rim joist, then flash and reinstall the exterior cladding. No matter how you are able to attach a ledger, I would not depend on it solely for the support of a second story deck. I would use columns next to the house to support that side of the deck, and the ledger attachment would just make a connection to the house that would stabilize the swaying of the structure.
Tried to look at the pics, but kept getting a "could not find server" message.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Remodeler

Deck Repair/Replace

After seeing the pictures I think the rot is on the end joist. That is all I see. I would say to open the wall up and look how at the condition of the joists inside the wall. If they are rotted inside it will travel to the rim joist. It doesn't hurt to be on the cautious side here. Your already replacing siding. You want this to end up safe and secure. After finding this out you can move onto the next step and figure out how to re secure the new deck.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #4

Deck Repair/Replace

It would be nice to know how far in the joists go. They may be your floor joists... Or they may just rest on the wall in the house. If this is the case you can just remove them and insert new ones that rest on the wall. Otherwise I would remove (cut inside the wall) and install a ledger with flashing... However I am guessing that there is blocking between the joist and not real suffciant to attach a ledger to. Free standing may be the only solution... that window is kind of problematic for freestanding as there will be a post in the middle of it. grrrrr.... lots of issues almost better to replace with a window
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote