Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Deck projects

I need a basic 6x6 deck in front and probably a 12x12 deck in back of the house!! Have no clue where to begin how deep my post need to be or anything gonna be a first time project for me so I need help!! All supplies and materials I need!! Thanks

beginner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022

Deck projects

My first recommendation is a call to your local building department to determine if a permit is required and the building code it must comply with if applicable. They can also inform you of any required frost depth protection.

my second recommendation is to download this pdf. It is the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide. It will provide you with the design and construction of a deck that complies with the requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code (basis for a lot of local building codes).

You may want to consider building a free-standing deck as there are typically less requirements for them as they are not dependent of being supported from a ledger board attached to your home.

this should give you a place to start. post back with any questions.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Rockerga (08-12-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Deck projects

Any box store or even the library will have some basic books on deck building to give you some ideas. But as mentioned always check with the building dept. before doing anything.
I agree almost always better to build it free standing, that way there no chance of moisture problems later with the main house.
One main thing and I can not stress this enough, build it so there's a step down to the deck, local code will dictate what it needs to be.
If you look around this site and any DIY site you'll see hundreds of post on all the rot caused by someone building the deck right up under the threshold and waters getting into the house.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck projects

Think seriously about whether wood decking is what you really want and need. Nothing against them but checkout all the posts in the painting section about maintenance. You will need to plan on sealing or staining the deck every three years on average. Are you sure some other material, like artisan finished concrete would not work?

For examples, here are nicely stained and stamped, wood deck looking concrete surfaces.

Last edited by user1007; 08-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (08-11-2013), kwikfishron (08-10-2013), Rockerga (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Rockerga

Rewards Points: 10

Deck projects

Gbrackins nailed it (Pun intended) A very difficult if not sometimes almost impossible part is that as far as I know most state codes now REQUIRE the ledger board to be attached to the outer band of the house structure, different states/counties = different rules.

And sdsester makes a great point regarding maintenance. That new composite decking is just too expensive to be an alternative at least for me.
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote