Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Deck material question

I've already gotten the basic structure of the deck built and I had plans to make something really nice, but it seems i've gotten myself talked into renting this place out.
So, what kind of material can I use for the deck surface that isn't going to cost me a fortune?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Deck material question

I would go to your local lumber yard and see what they can recommend which will be more cost effective for you in the long run.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
Contractor - Renovations

Deck material question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've already gotten the basic structure of the deck built and I had plans to make something really nice, but it seems i've gotten myself talked into renting this place out.
So, what kind of material can I use for the deck surface that isn't going to cost me a fortune?

Thanks in advance.
PT and stain it so it's not so badly effected by the nasty sun and looks a little nicer.

I wouldn't waste my money on anything nicer than that for a rental unless you went with a vinyl membrane...
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Deck material question

Not to state something that you don't already know, but cost can be a little tricky, depending on the circumstances. Your least expensive route, up front, will very likely be pressure treated lumber and stain. But, it requires maintenance, and with rentors there, your access for maintenance could be limited, which could lead to "waiting until next year", and then "next year", and so on. As Epson, suggested, I would check with your local lumber yard, and discuss all of your options.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Deck material question

Hey Alan,

I agree with DexterII. Using pressure treated requires yearly maintenance and will eventually become more expensive than using a composite material. If you are renting the property you should get something that you won't have to worry about rotting away.

Composite decking can be found at a reasonable price and requires very little maintenance. Most local home improvement stores carry a few kinds in stock. Composite decking cuts the same as wood and comes already colored, so you wouldn't need to invest in new tools or paint/stain. Hope this helps.-Gregg
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Deck material question

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll price out both and see what it looks like.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Contractor - Renovations

Deck material question

PT doesn't really require any more maintenance than plastic if you don't care about it look perfect and is way less expensive.

plastic scuffs and scratches and stains with bug spray and sunscreen... at least PT just looks like wood. Wood dents and scratches but it looks natural.

rentals get treated like trash so why spend the money on something 3x the cost of pt. even if you replace the decking every 10 years, it's still cheaper than buying plastic, imo.

I have seen stained PT decks that look the same as when they were built after 5 years (with little direct sun exposure)...
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

Deck material question

Keep in mind that composite wood needs air movement/space under it or it will surface mold. Not good for a low deck... P.t. wood needs a water-proof applied soon after application, the preservative-factory applied is against fungus and bugs. It will twist and cup soon after drying/installed unless sealed or wp.

Did you try a “Search” in the box at the top of our site pages? From a quick search;
http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/trex-...ointing-10043/

Trex Decking Discoloration

Gary
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Stairguy

Deck material question

1.pressure treated is probably cheapest
2.composite and mahogany are about same price ( I like Mah in this case)
3.composite with a pvc veneer
4.solid pvc and exotics ( very expensive)
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Deck material question

It is at least a small deck approximately 5x5, so the 3 x cost won't be quite as dramatic if I do decide to go with trex.

If I choose pressure treat, are there special kinds of stain that should be used on it? Reccomendations? We have a Home Depot and an Ace hardware here. I'm even surprised that you could stain a pressure treated board. . . We are talking the same kind of P.T. just a standard P.T. 2X lumber?