Deck/Ledger Help - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck/Ledger help

I tore out an old deck that was rotten. The ledger (2x10) was bolted into the concrete foundation these bolts are still present. They then had 2x10 joists ON TOP of the ledger toe nailed in. The reason for this I believe is because the door is about 12 inches above the top of the old ledger. I now want to put in a new deck. Do I do the same process? Is there a better method for getting the necessary height to match up with the door? I do not want to raise the ledger because that would involved cutting out the stucco to make it fit. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Advertisement

bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,276

Deck/Ledger help

I think you answered your own question. You don't want to mess with the stucco so do it the same. If you use new treated lumber for the ledger you should use hot dipped galvanized bolts. The old bolts might not be hot dipped galvanized.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

Deck/Ledger help

Thanks jogr. I just wasn't sure if it was good practice to toe nail 2x10's to the top of the ledger but I gues once everything is in place the joist will not move.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,080

Deck/Ledger help

I don't see any way that will be structurally sound. The idea to bolt a ledger to the house is so it won't pull away laterally. With two boards stacked, you have zero lateral resistance. Shear, yes.

Bite the bullet, cut and flash the stucco. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 264

Deck/Ledger help

You might want to add some galvanized ties if you are concerned but I believe what you are doing is fairly common practice. Do take the time to check with your communities building department just in case there is a specific requirement that have changed since the old deck was built.

Rege

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck/Ledger help

A picture would help
So any water that goes between the 1st deck board & the stucco runs down to the ledger board & then down?

Any flashing at the top where the deck boards are?
What about on the ledger?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #7

Deck/Ledger help

Ths would not be the way to structure the deck. Ledgers on houses are generally done incorrectly by homeowners. They don't attach them to the house the right way. They don't flash them correctly.
Resting a deck ledger on another ledger and toenailing it is... ill advised.
Set posts near the house and make the deck independant of the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

Deck/Ledger help

It seems like everyone is getting off track or not reading the original post. What he wants to do is rest the joist on top of a ledger that is bolted to the concrete and toe nail the joist to the ledger. How is this wrong assuming there is proper blocking? On the subject of flashing, in the past I would have agreed with flashing the ledger but I have come across a few decks that were only a few years old where the ledger seems to cause more problems than it was solving. I am wondering, when using treated lumber if you are not better off leaving the flashing off and caulking on top between the ledger and the house just to keep water from pooling there.

Rege
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Deck/Ledger help

Its wrong in several ways including the fact that a couple nails toenailed in wont properly hold the deck to the house... period. If joist hangers are used properly they can have as many as 15-20 nails. If it were me, I think I would attach the deck to a ledger and then build a nice curved step to split the difference to the door. Use your imagination.... and the ledger.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Deck/Ledger help

Just to comment on the basics here....... The ledger has already rotted out once. (Isn't that why you are looking at just the bolts now) and you want to do this all again? Even if you flashed the ledger, you intend to toe-nail through the flashing? Caulking's not a bad idea, but caulking usually only makes it a couple of years. How ya gonna recaulk up under there? And WOULD most people?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #11

Deck/Ledger help

There was no rot on the ledger just everywhere else. What if I double up the ledger to add additional space to toe nail the joist to and put blocking between all joists. It seems to me this deck once completed with boards would have little chance of moving side to side. the dimensions are 18 feet long by only 5 feet wide. Thus the 5 foot joists would be toe nailed to 3inches of ledger. I guess i could do them on 12 inch centers?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #12

Deck/Ledger help

bumper,

I don't think you need to double up the ledger and toe nailing properly should give you pull away resistance. I know everyone puts a lot of faith in the joist hangers because they provide much more support for the joist than nailing. In your case the ledger is providing the support directly. As long as it is properly attached to the house I can not see a problem. If there is enough force to pull toe nailed joists away from the house you have bigger problems that needed to be addressed before constructing a deck.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,276

Deck/Ledger help

If you are using a pressure treated ledger on an exposed concrete foundation wall then I see little benefit from flashing. Some might argue the PT ledger would last a tad longer if no moisture can get between the concrete and the ledger I guess.

I don't see any way that fourteen or fifteen 5 ft joists toenailed into the top of the ledger are going to allow the deck to pull out away from the house. All those nails would have to shear off, it's not like they are nailed into the face of the ledger where they could pull out.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #14

Deck/Ledger help

Thanks everybody for the advise. I will proceed as rege indicated. I most likely won't flash and will just use a couple of washers to keep the pressure treated wood away from the cement foundation.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #15

Deck/Ledger help

Don't use the washers. The benefit of the airspace you are creating will soon be gone when it fills with debris and it will not be as strong. Keep it tight to the cement.

Rege

Advertisement