Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Deck Building

I think at the end of the summer I want to replace my deck as a diy project. I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for books or websites for deck building guides/info/tips.

Thanks

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Deck Building

In my opinion, deck building books are a dime a dozen. I have three or four different ones, plus I looked in depth at many others at the store, and they all cover the essentials that need to be known. The only real difference between them is the artistic flair they add in (ie various types of deck plans and additional built-in features). Depending on how extensive of a redo you plan on doing, and how advanced your carpentry skills are, you may want to consider not trying to take it on yourself. If you're an average skill level home DIY'er, then merely replacing the decking and/or railings should be an easy task that any book will be able to give you what you need to know. But if you're changing the footprint or any structural parts of the deck, especially if it is a second floor deck or something, then there is potentially a lot of engineering and load calculations (and permits and inspections) that will have to go into it to ensure safety. But if you're confident in your building skills and feel you can dig deep enough to research all of the math and load issues you need to cover from a more extensive rebuild, then go for it. Building a deck is a quite satisfying and fulfilling experience.

My one bit of advice that you may not find in a book: standard joist spacing is 16", but if you plan on using composite decking, it would be better to use 12" spacing, as composite stuff isn't as rigid as wood and there will be some noticeable sagging when you step in the middle of a 16" span on composite boards.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck Building

See the search button above, and enter decks. Right below the chapters.

Most books are basic, very few cover the particulars for a sound deck. I recommend this one for building against frost heave: http://books.google.com/books?id=1gg...num=3#PPA31,M1

Here are some basics. Almost 8600 books, look for "Limited preview" in red in the description.

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Umm.. U sure thats right?

Rewards Points: 25

Deck Building

1,2,3 decks... home depot... what are you doing just replacing railing and planking? can you post pics and any ideas?
f8lyer8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Building

how do you know how far apart the post should be. let's say for a 12x12 deck. is there a rule on how far they should be.
superman120799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Deck Building

When I did my deck, the municipal inspection department gave me a pamphlet stating their requirements.
This was given me, when I applied for the permit.
Perhaps your inspection department will provide the same information. Keep in mind that there are variations in each jurisdiction.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Building

I am just finishing one. Here are some nice websites with good info:
http://www.decks.com/deckdetaildownload.aspx?binderid=3
http://www.decks.com/Calculators/Stairs.aspx?
http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/p...ks/details.pdf

Salmon_Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote