Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Darkening Finished Trim

The windows in my house are relatively new. They appear to be pine with maple trim clear coated with what I assume to be urethane. The original doors and baseboard in the house are stained (pretty dark). Can the windows be re-coated with something, a stain/urethane combination perhaps, so they more closely match the trim/doors? Or is this a bad idea once wood has been finished?

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Darkening Finished Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptron View Post
The windows in my house are relatively new. They appear to be pine with maple trim clear coated with what I assume to be urethane. The original doors and baseboard in the house are stained (pretty dark). Can the windows be re-coated with something, a stain/urethane combination perhaps, so they more closely match the trim/doors? Or is this a bad idea once wood has been finished?
You can restain a wood product if you remove the topcoat. Stripping off the urethane would be a start.
There is a product by Minwax, called Polyshades which is a stain/poly combination. Colors are limited and application is problematic to get a specific color.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote