Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

Starting a project tomorrow. What is the best type of circular saw blade to use to cut this wood? Newbie...thanks

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

Dimensional lumber, trim, etc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Starting a project tomorrow. What is the best type of circular saw blade to use to cut this wood? Newbie...thanks
A nice sharp one. All wood is pretty much Kiln Dried if used for anything that they want it at a set dimension. Pressure Treated will not be. Trim may be depending on what you are using. Need to be more specific.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

Sorry.....here it is

2: 212
2: 210
5: 28
10: 24
3: 44
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

So basically standard lumber. Did not need sizes, just if it was standard dimensional or finished for trim, or pressure treated. Now if it was Pressure treated, it will wear out a saw blade in no time, due to the moisture content.

Keep an extra blade handy, and make sure that you have the right one. Do not want to get a Ripping Blade, when you need a Cross Cut. Most blades are combo, so really it is more of how much you are willing to spend on the blade.

The Irwin & Skil Circular Saw blades are fine for if this is going to be a one time job, or going to cut stuff off and on, they will last for a while. You will know that the blade is dull, when it starts grabbing the lumber while cutting, or burning the lumber.

Just remember to keep the cut straight, start the blade before going into the wood, keep fingers and the cord out of the way. When laying it back down, let it wind down before laying down, and always unplug it when you are walking away from the tool, especially if you have kids or pets around, while you are doing this work.

Of course always measure twice, maybe three times, before committing to cutting the lumber. Also purchase extra wood. You can always store the extra up in the loft of your attic, or on a rack in your garage, and have handy for other projects.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

Not pressure treated. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

For circular saws cutting dimensional, the Irwin Marathon is about as good of value you'll find. Even when used in recycled wood and a nail is encountered not much lost at their price. With the deal below you could save 10 for yourself and re-sell 30 in 2 packs and possibly double your money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-Marath...item2a300ef39e
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

There are four different materials commonly used on blades. The least expensive are steel blades. They will be perfectly adequate for a few cuts. If you want the blade to last longer, you get carbide tipped blades, which are steel blades with carbide on the tips of the teeth. Carbide blades will stay sharp threw hundreds, maybe thousands of cuts, but are a bit delicate in the sense that you can ruin one instantly by cutting a nail accidentally. Carbide blades are more expensive than steel.

The more teeth you get, the finer the cut (less fuzz, good for trim). You pay more for more teeth. For rough cutting, like demolition work, you typically have fewer but larger teeth.

Blades are designed either for ripping (along the grain of the wood), or crosscut (perpendicular to the grain of the wood). You can also get combination blades that do an acceptable job either ripping or cross cutting. Best to get one of those for a circular saw, since you don't want to be changing blades for each type of cut. I have an 80 tooth Freud combination carbide tipped blade for my table saw, works very nicely.

There are specialty blades for trim cutting plywood, and there are diamond tipped blades for masonry or ceramic. There are also special blades for cutting various types of metal. You don't need any of them for the job as you describe.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #9

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

This is the table I'm going to try and build.

http://tommyandellie.com/index.php/2...table-details/

It says I need a table saw. Could I just get away with a circular saw as I already have one? Ill buy a table saw if I have to... That's fine. Just curious. At harbor freight now ... Lol thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Cuttting Kiln dried pine

No, you would need a table saw. Still even with the Table Saw, the blade is important.