DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cutting thru plaster ceiling

11K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
Hi All:

A customer of mine has requested a pull down stairway to access his attic. No big on that, however, the ceiling is plaster/mesh/lath. I am leery of cutting into it, worried that I will cause damage to the surrounding area. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks in advance, Glenn12

#2 ·
I guarantee that you will have surrounding failure----is this plaster over wood lath?

If it's plaster over gypsum (1950s) with care you can cut it--

Over wood lath---expect failure about 32" wide all around.---

I know this from having done the same thing on an old 1850s house,many years ago--

#3 ·
As Mike stated, expect a bit of plaster damage. You are framing a rough opening and you need to connect the lath/plaster combo to the framing. That's not happening.
Install the framing first, before removing the plaster and lath.
Remove the plaster only in the opening, leaving the wood lath in place.
The plaster should be removed 2" wider on each side of the rough opening.
A grinder will remove the plaster with the least amount of trauma to the surface.
Have a helper with a shop vac.
After the plaster has been removed, attach the wood lath to the newly framed opening.
Cut out the wood lath flush with the rough opening.
Sheetrock and tape the exposed wood lath.
Install the ladder and trim out the perimeter.
Ron

#4 ·
Mike and Ron, thank you both for your responses. This project will be a learning experience, but should be ok. I've never had to work around the plaster/lath before and was afraid that I'd really mess up his ceiling. Patience and care should be the hallmark of this one.

Thanks again,
Glenn12

#7 ·
Buy or rent a multi tool.
It will cut the plaster and wood lath without shaking it do death.

Another trick I use is to mark out the opening and then install a bunch of these "plaster washers" just outside your mark.
They will help secure the plaster and get covered with your finish trim or plaster.

#11 ·
Harbor Freight sells GREAT disposable power tools. (inseret winky guy here):wink: but they are handy when your in a pinch and need something for a one time use.
Agreed. Although, I got tired of buying expensive, variable speed disc sanders that no matter how careful I was would get glogged up with drywall and plaster dust. I have had this cheap Chinese thing from Harbor Freight for five or more years now and it still hums away flawlessly. Wish the box stores would sell cheap tools that worked out as well although it is still best to buy real ones, from a tool store, for most things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.