Cutting Laminate Counter Top - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cutting laminate counter top

Putting in a new laminate counter top in my kitchen this weekend. Counter top is straight 8'1'' and gap for oven then 16" straight space to wall.

I bought a 140 tooth circular saw blade today. Was told to turn blade backwards when cutting. I plan on using tape on both sides and cutting counter top from the bottom. using a 1x2 for a straight edge go glide against.

What to do when i get to black splash? or whats left after first pass from underneath. Jig saw or hack saw.

thanks

Advertisement

brizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Way to fine a blade, your going to find it's going to over heat the blade, if you tryed it backwards cutting it the blade would be trash from over heating.
Need about a 60 tooth.
You cut the back splash first then the main table.
No tape needed, but if it makes you fell better use it.
Make sure there's someone there supporting the cut off piece.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but this is just a rough cut, and you are leaving enough to use your laminate trimmer or router for the finish cut right?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

It needs to be a smooth cut, and even after cutting may need to be sanded to get it all flat.
The router only rounds over the formica not the partical board.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I had plan on sanding the cut smooth finished. I borrowed a router too but never used one. Ill pick up different blade tommorow. I for got ask bout sink cut out. Plan on using jig saw. What type of jig saw blade?

And the air vent gap for dish washer. New sink no hole for vent. Bought holesaw bit for stainless. Will this work. I herd to drill it slow cause stainless burns bits up fast.

Thanks guys for the inputs

Last edited by brizzle; 03-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.
brizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Using a circular saw with at least a 60 tooth carbide blade, with the blade in the normal way cut the countertop from the bottom. The circular saw cuts as the blade comes up and if you cut it from the bottom the saw will not chip the laminate. Cut it about 1/8 - 3/16 long. I typically set up a guide and then use a plunge router with a top bearing bit after the circular saw cut. This is a router that is big enough, with a bit that is big enough, to cut 1/8" or so off the countertop to give a nice finished edge. If you do not have a router for this then belt sand it very carefully, remember a belt sander will take off a lot of material quickly. The sink cut out can be with a plunge router from the bottom or a jig saw from the top with a down cutting laminate blade or from the bottom with a regular up cutting blade. good luck.

Advertisement

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote