Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

Cutting joists for attic ladder

I have a newly built garage with ceiling joists set 16" on center. The attic ladder is 25" wide, so one joist will need to be partly removed.

I've read elsewhere that I will need to "double up" on the joists around the attic opening. Can someone explain this in a little detail? Will the two joists to beside the attic ladder have to be doubled up all the way across?

thanks

sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheslostcontrol View Post
I have a newly built garage with ceiling joists set 16" on center. The attic ladder is 25" wide, so one joist will need to be partly removed.

I've read elsewhere that I will need to "double up" on the joists around the attic opening. Can someone explain this in a little detail? Will the two joists to beside the attic ladder have to be doubled up all the way across?

thanks
Is the garage attached to your house?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

It is detached.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I have a scuttle hole for my attic in my house, that they just framed between the joists (16" on center). As for yours, since you are wanting stairs, and wanting to cut one rafter, my first question are these trusses, or 2x6 joists with 2x6's for the roof. If trusses, cutting one will mess up the integrity of the truss system.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

I double up the joists around most skylights
This pic shows the framing members doubled
How to frame it all depends upon your joist sizes, spans, loads etc

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I have a scuttle hole for my attic in my house, that they just framed between the joists (16" on center). As for yours, since you are wanting stairs, and wanting to cut one rafter, my first question are these trusses, or 2x6 joists with 2x6's for the roof. If trusses, cutting one will mess up the integrity of the truss system.
The joists are 2x10's.. no trusses.. here is a pic from my cell:

Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Experienced

ScubaDave has shown the way.

Now lets wait to hear from Joe.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #8

While waiting for Joe..

If this is what I need to do, I have a problem.. the joists are 18' long. I have a 8' ceiling and there is very little room in the attic area to swing boards into place. Can I double up one joist by using two shorter boards?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Experienced

This is a garage right, why can't they be brought in from below and put in place on the bias.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #10

It's a two story garage, I'm working on the upper level which is 12' above ground level. I'm not sure how I'd get the long stick of wood inside the room I'm working in.

Some more pics of the attic area.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Up the stairwell, through the window. Have you already put siding up on the structure? Need a picture of now, not the in building process.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Experienced

I don't see why you couldn't use shorter length lumber to sister the joists as the goal of this is to increase cross sectional area of the joist's parrallel to the openning.

I would ensure that the butt splice was not were the openning for the ladder ends up.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

you are only talking about maybe four 8 footers, and a couple of 3-4 footers, so I do not see why the OP is stating they can't take lumber upstairs. Usually something like this is done during the framing stage, not after it is done. It is like building a house, not putting a door or stairs in, and going "Well, this is a fine kettle of fish. How do we get upstairs or enter & exit the house." Even better like building a house, and not putting any plumbing or electrical in after finish work is done.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

R502.10 Framing of openings. Openings in floor framing shall be framed with a header and trimmer joists. When the header joist span does not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm), the header joist may be a single member the same size as the floor joist. Single trimmer joists may be used to carry a single header joist that is located within 3 feet (914 mm) of the trimmer joist bearing. When the header joist span exceeds 4 feet (1219 mm), the trimmer joists and the header joist shall be doubled and of sufficient cross section to support the floor joists framing into the header. Approved hangers shall be used for the header joist to trimmer joist connections when the header joist span exceeds 6 feet (1829 mm). Tail joists over 12 feet (3658 mm) long shall be supported at the header by framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm by 51 mm). http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm
I see a lot of questionable framing procedures there, are you getting it inspected?

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I see a lot of questionable framing procedures there, are you getting it inspected?
Gary
The garage was built last spring, it was permitted, rough and final inspections passed without issue. The lower area looks pretty stout (2x6 studs).. the upper area doesn't look as strongly built. But it checked out per city inspector.