Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cutting Dowel rods

i need to cut dowell rods on a 60 degree angle. one isnt a problem but 4000 is . any ideas on how to mass produce a 9" long dowell with 60 degree angle on both ends? need to cut as many as i can at a time to make it profitable to do so. tried lots of jigs on table saw and mitre saw. cant seem to get them clamped down good enough to keep them from rolling or shootin across the room.

shmidlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Cutting Dowel rods

• What size dowel
  • Does it have to be wood?
  • Do the 60 deg ends have to be in the same plane?
  • What is the length tolerance overall?
  • What is the length tolerance between individual dowels

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Cutting Dowel rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmidlap View Post
i need to cut dowell rods on a 60 degree angle. one isnt a problem but 4000 is . any ideas on how to mass produce a 9" long dowell with 60 degree angle on both ends? need to cut as many as i can at a time to make it profitable to do so. tried lots of jigs on table saw and mitre saw. cant seem to get them clamped down good enough to keep them from rolling or shootin across the room.
How about building a "box" with 3 sides (no top and open ends) to the appropriate length/angles to hold the dowels in and use your box as your guide? Maybe hold a piece of wood on top of the dowels to hold them in as you cut? I have no idea if this would work, but this is probably what I'd try if faced with 4000. Probably not going to be as precise as cutting individually though.

Last edited by Pianolady; 09-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Cutting Dowel rods

to palibob: dowells are 5/16 hardwood, plane dosent have to be same,need to cut them 8 3/4" with 1/8" tollerance. i do have a bandsaw but was concerned about the ends fuzzing. ive made several sleds for table saw and mitre box as well. in theory they work but just cant get enough pressure to keep them from moving.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Cutting Dowel rods

great idea! but ive tried that, cant get enough downward pressure to keep them from spinning.ive come up with several variations of that on sleds for table saw as well as mitre saw. seems combination of round dowell, round blade and angle dont work to well. makes a good dowell launcher though. i have a few dowell size holes in the wall to prove it. may have to resort to band saw.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Cutting Dowel rods

you will need an 8 3/4" material stop for the miter saw. maybe even figure out a way to make the stop on an angle so that once the piece is seated into the stop your cut angle will be oriented in the same direction. this will maybe be the fastest way even though it is one at a time...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-29-2012)