Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Cutting Counter Top

Hey all... I need to cut about 1 foot off the Island of my counter top. I need to do this without ripping the crap out of the finish on the top of the counter.

When I cut out my old counter with my electric saw it chewed the counter edge to bits. What tool can I use to make a nice smooth cut thats not going to rip apart the top of the counter? any ideas? a regular hand saw?

Counter top is wood...

Leme know, thanks

sleepysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Cutting Counter Top

You need to remove the countertop to do the work. I would use a router with a long (read at least 2") straight carbide bit. If you have laminate on top, you may want to consider a laminate trimmer for the laminate part, but definitely a straight carbide bit for the wood part. Make sure there are no screws, nails, or any other metal, they will destroy your very expensive bits. I have a 3 HP router with several 1/2 inch diameter straight carbide bits I reserve for just this type of operation.

The key to a clean cut is to make relatively small passes, say 1/2 inch deep, each time. Also, you should make the first full pass about 1/8 inch short of the final pass, by only cutting 1/8 inch off in the second pass you will get a laser smooth cut.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-14-2010), shimniok (08-13-2010), Willie T (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Cutting Counter Top

sleepy,

Try this for what your looking to do:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...wood-cuts.aspx

Used it when I was doing some refacing of kitchen cabinets before getting new counter tops (6 month project for me). With my skill saw I was able to get several nice clean cuts on my counter tops. That way I was able to pull the cabinets for refacing and still used the tops during the redo. Its titled "minimize circular saw tearout," Published by "Fine Home Building."

Best of luck with the project, rredogg
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

Cutting Counter Top

Here is a simple jig you can make to cut a laminate counter top: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html
epson is offline   Reply With Quote