Cutting Butcher Block For Apron Sink - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

Cutting butcher block for apron sink

Well I'm extremely nervous for the next phase of my minor kitchen remodel. I need to cut the butcher block counter top for the apron front, undermount sink that I have. My concern is that cutting the butcher block will leave a small amount of continuous counter top for support. I don't want the thing to snap in half while moving it into place.

Should I just suck it up and cut/sand everything more or less in place or would it be possible to take some 2x4's and clamp them to the butcher block when cut to support?

Thoughts for those smarter and more experienced than I?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I've gotten more than a little anxious when having to carve up what would otherwise be a finished piece (a prefab kitchen counter specifically).

I would hope that any butcher block worth its salt would be up to handle being moved around a bit without abuse, but at the same time stiffening it up for the move will help to ensure a successful move and it will be kinder on the nerves. A win-win!

As far as cutting it in place, only do so if there is adequate support and room to work comfortably and safely (or if you absolutely have to F.U.R.G.).

Best of luck!

Advertisement

squarenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 31

I wouldn't worry about it if it wasn't for the fact that it's an apron front and there will only be about 8 inches of counter left to support the two heavy sides.
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Your worried about that? You have 8" there? That's a lot of material...I would not be worried about that.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

Ok...........am I to assume that the type of sink is an under-mount porcelain farmhouse style, exposed at the front?
If this is the case I would remove the counter top and make two cuts from front to back across the counter top. Then sand the exposed edges. Next cut a piece from the fall off to go at the back of the sink. Install the counter tops in three pieces using dowels or biscuits and waterproof glue at the joints. All the better if you can use a ledger or cleat under there also.

When installing the sink, the weight needs to be taken into consideration by supporting it adequately with cross members between the cabinet walls.
Seal the counter top edges and caulk the joint between sink and counter top with silicone.
Mike