Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Customizing a pre-hung door

I have a standard pre-hung door that I want to cut down to fit a doorway in an older house. The door is wood-cored vinyl, and I estimate that I will have to narrow it by about 1 1/2 inches. How difficult is this, and what is the best way to cut the door?

Thanks

Martin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
I have a standard pre-hung door that I want to cut down to fit a doorway in an older house. The door is wood-cored vinyl, and I estimate that I will have to narrow it by about 1 1/2 inches. How difficult is this, and what is the best way to cut the door?

Thanks
If you have to cut it down 1-1/2", why don't you just buy a 2" smaller prehung door?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

joe is right. Cutting down a vinyl skinned door on the vertical is a pain in the wahzoo especialy since you should cut both edges to keep it uniform
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

The best way is on a table saw. Obviously, you should take 3/4" off each side. What we don't know is if the door has been predrilled for a lockset, meaning everything would need to come off of the hinge edge. You also need to be sure that the hinge and latch stiles inside the door are thick enough to allow you to remove that much material. Cut them too thin and you won't be able to recess the latch or the hinges.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #5

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The door is pre-drilled for a lock set, so everything would have to come off the hinge side.

I would by happy to buy a smaller door, but I am trying fit it into a brick opening that is 33 1/2" wide. By the time I have built a frame the gap will be too small for a 32" pre-hung door and I haven't found anywhere that sells a 30". For another similar door we had to have one custom made which was expensive.
Martin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The door is pre-drilled for a lock set, so everything would have to come off the hinge side.

I would by happy to buy a smaller door, but I am trying fit it into a brick opening that is 33 1/2" wide. By the time I have built a frame the gap will be too small for a 32" pre-hung door and I haven't found anywhere that sells a 30". For another similar door we had to have one custom made which was expensive.
Pardon me, but you are talking about one of the most common door sizes in existence. Try another dealer.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
If you have to cut it down 1-1/2", why don't you just buy a 2" smaller prehung door?
YES , DO NOT CUT IT. JUST GET THE NEXT SIZE DOWN. PLEASE!!!!!
carpenter377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you cut this door as described, you might as well just bring it out to the curb for garbage pick up.
An exterior 30" door can be gotten for a reasonable price. Of course if you bought the wrong door the first time and cannot return it, it will more then double your total cost.
Better to ask pertinient questions before purchases.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote