Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Customized kitchen island

I'm having a small moveable customized kitchen island made. The countertop slab I'm getting comes in 27" width, so with a 12" overhang for seating, the width of the island will be 15".

But since the island will be on wheels, the overhang is going to be too heavy for it and will tip over. Other than putting bricks/metal/etc. on the inside at the bottom of the island (which defeats the purpose of it being moveable) here are two ideas. Any other suggestions to not have it tip over but still able to move around?
Attached Images

hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Not an expert here, but I think any sort of stone/granite/slab top on a 15" wide rolling base would be prone to tipping, even without an overhang.

How tall is this going to be?
Even 27" wide may be tippy. If you want it tall enough for bar stools, dangerously so as people sitting may tend to lean on it or push against it.

Also consider your flooring. The weight of this slab will cause the rollers to leave dents in any sort of "soft" flooring. It will be even more prone to tipping if you have tile with grout lines or any sort of rough flooring the rollers may catch on.

Personally I would not put a slab on anything movable that is taller than it is wide.

I would look at other, lighter-weight counter top alternatives.

Last edited by Blondesense; 10-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I work in a countertop/cabinet business and I think both the pictures look like they could work. If it is supported and balanced correctly it won't tip over. I have some questions though. What kind of countertop are we talking about and what are the overall dimensions? Also what kind of floor is it going to be on? Blondsense is right about damaging the floor. I see it all the time where appliances are even the ones with casters. Mostly linoluem and hardwood is where I see a lot of damage from casters.
dukeofsolidsrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

bigger wheels to spread out the weight distribution will reduce the chance of damage. but the above posters pointed out very good points. Heavy weight countertop sounds like recipe for disaster.
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote