Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

custom framed mirror

I have crown molding to match a bathroom vanity we installed. I want to have a 52 X 32 framed mirror made to hang above the vanity. Where can I go to have a frame made using my crown molding? I am in San Jose, Ca.

sfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

custom framed mirror

im guessing you want the frame built then have the crown added on top of it.

your best bet is to just hire a finish carpenter or a custom cabinet guy who can match the wood then use the crown with it

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

custom framed mirror

Picture framing material is solid on the back side, Crown is not.
Two completely differant profiles.
About the only way to do it would be to cut a wedge shaped filler for the back side. Not a great look from the side.
And not going to be cheap to do.

A real frame shop may have something that would look close to your crown or can order it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

custom framed mirror

Well, sort of.. Unfortunatelly for me, I chose a vanity where the manufacturer won't give me any stain to match. I have been unable to match the color at all. Originally, I intended to purchase an unfinished wood framed mirror, hang it like a picture and just stain it to match. As that is now not an option, I thought I solved the problem by buying the manufacturer's crown molding which matches my vanity. Now I am stuck with this crown and cannot figure out what is the best way to frame a mirror? I do not want to glue a 52 x 32 mirror to my new drywall in the event I want to change it out later. I thought I could have a picture frame made with the crown so I took it to my local glass company and they said they do not have the tools to cut the needed 1/4" groove that would hold the glass. So now, I wonder if I should have glass installed with clips and try to frame it that way? How do you frame over clips? Or, should I just glue the mirror to the wall and frame around it? Or, glue mirror to thin wood to save my walls and then glue the crown on the mirror and hang it like a picture? Or, scrap the crown and find someone who can match the vanity color I have......I am not married to this crown, it is the only match I have thus far to the color of my vanity. The glass alone at 1/4" will weigh 45-50 pounds at this size and the crown I have is American Maple so it has some weight as well. This mirror has been worse to deal with than my entire bathroom remodel. Open to your expert advice.
sfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

custom framed mirror

Any cabinet shop could cut it and add the datto.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

custom framed mirror

I like Joe's idea of going to a framing shop better than messing with cutting a dado in the crown molding. I don't think you have to worry about matching it exactly. A frame shop is likely to have something you like better.

A frame shop will have encountered this challenge many times before and should be able to cut the mirrored glass for you as well and even get it beveled at the edged or whatever you want. They will also hand you the right anchors, hangers, and all to hang it. And they will stretch wire or whatever system you decide on so it is ready to go and put in place.

Lived in the East Foothills of San Jose--the armpit of the San Francisco Bay--for over 20 years by the way but have been gone longer with no reason to go back anymore. I do not know where to send you for framing. Any art gallery will tell you who is good and not outrageously expensive. I think University Arts in Palo Alto used to do custom framing but there must be someone closer. While going to school I worked for Michael's Arts & Engineering Supplies but they are long gone. I think the national Michael's hobby store chain has custom framing? I have no idea how good the people are though. Let me know if you hit a snag. I still have people I can ask on your behalf.

Last edited by user1007; 09-24-2012 at 12:21 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Bombastic Idiot

custom framed mirror

If you brought your mirror and crown to my cabinet shop, ( if i was still active in bizz) I would have no trouble making the frame, putting the mirror in it, installing hanging harware, or hanging the mirror. We did it frequently with larger mirrors than yours and odder framing materials, and for some of areas pickiest designers. There isn't likely to be much side view in a bathroom, and side view of crown mold is no odder than some 'real' frames. Any filler we had to add would look perfectly acceptable.

You want a smaller, higher end, custom cabinet shop, that builds from scratch from plans, rather than larger 'Factory" type that assembles 'custom" cabinets, from parts that are cut by guys who are machine operators rather than craftsmen.

With a heavy mirror, I'd trust someone with experience in backing and bracing the mirror, and hanging heavy objects like "floating" shelving, shelves for older heavy wide screen TV's, etc. Michaels and some strip mall "framing" shops employ somebody who can use a miter saw and staple gun. They may have a close match frame in stock, they may be able to frame a large object, but ask how much experience they have in heavier objects, not just in framing it but in hanging it. You got 20-25 lbs of fragile glass at least, plus weight of backing, frame another 10, maybe more.

To match stain, take a door or drawer to good paint stain store, they can mix one to match. Or the real custom cabinet shop can recommend a finisher or store who can. We used a guy who once matched dirt of a farm yard so it wouldn't show on porch. And a store that could match just about any patina-ed antique we brought in.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote