Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Custom Entertainment Center Ideas - Help needed

Recently moved in to a new place that has a cut out for an entertainment center. The wife and I want something sleek and modern looking but haven't been able to really find something in a store that fits the space. The dimensions are 9ft 2in long, 2ft deep, and 6ft 11in high.

We really like the look of some of Ikea's products and even designed a couple of layouts we like. The problem is the dimensions are fixed and would leave a 15 1/2 inch gap on once side. Also, the depth is less than desireable. Also, we're concerned about the quality. So now we're (more like I) thinking of building custom cabinets that are similar.

Problem is we really like the high-gloss black doors (I think they are thermofoil) but if we build it ourselves, any idea where we could order them the correct sizes (since cutting them would presumably ruin the finish?

Any thoughts, ideas, inspiration is greatly appreciated as this big blank wall seems to just be lauging at us...

bjp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you build them yourselves, what are you ordering ,"the correct sizes"?
You can build the carcasses and order doors for them. Is that what you mean?
There are companies all over the country that do that.
But before you pick up the power tools you need to determine the unit's organization. Components, music and DVD storage, etc...

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

Measure each device that you want to put in the entertainment center and design it around those dims. Make sure you add 5 or 6 inches in height where the receiver goes so that you get proper air circulation. If you want to stick with Ikea modules, you'll have to frame/cap the ends, top and bottom with your own custom work.

I don't have a recess, but I added on to the sides of the fire place and here are some pics of what I came up with. (The audio/video cabinet has little support on the front to keep it from sagging, so it's fine for audio/video equipment, but I would load it up with books.) You can design something that is inset, flush, or that sits proud of the drywall. Start sketching and see what you come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Entertainment Center Ideas - Help needed-img_0718.jpg   Custom Entertainment Center Ideas - Help needed-img_0719.jpg   Custom Entertainment Center Ideas - Help needed-img_0720.jpg  
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yes when I said "ordering the right sizes" I was referring to the cabinet doors. We really like the high glosss black mdf doors we saw. I've googled and searched but haven't been able to find somewhere that sells cabinet doors like that to order. If you know of places you could direct me, that would be great.

As for tools, we have them, so there shouldn't be much we need to purchase. I'm thinking just plywood painted and primed for the frame. It's really just the doors I'm trying to figure out. What has everyone used for doors? Is it easier/better to order them or try to make?
bjp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp2006 View Post
Yes when I said "ordering the right sizes" I was referring to the cabinet doors. We really like the high glosss black mdf doors we saw. I've googled and searched but haven't been able to find somewhere that sells cabinet doors like that to order. If you know of places you could direct me, that would be great.

As for tools, we have them, so there shouldn't be much we need to purchase. I'm thinking just plywood painted and primed for the frame. It's really just the doors I'm trying to figure out. What has everyone used for doors? Is it easier/better to order them or try to make?
I used Keystone in Pa. for my doors.
Whether it's, "better/easier" is relative to the door style you have in mind. If you're talking about a slab door or a slab with applied moldings, you can do that easily with a table saw. Raised panel is another animal. More complicated, but not out the reach of a decent DIY'er with a router in a good table.
Getting the finish you want will be tricky as the black lacquer look shows every defect and blemish.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entertainment center, home theatre, living room, media, tv stand