Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Custom Closets

I was thinking of building some custom closets in a spare bedroom.. Planning on using the entire room to do it (8x8)

I was looking for suggestions on the type of wood to use.. I would like to get a cherry look or maybe paint it white or black. But I dont want to break the bank.

Essentially - I want to build what you can buy prefabbed from Lowes and HD.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

redpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Custom Closets

I did just that with MDF plywood and used iron-on edge tape for edges, for a customer, I wish this was my house! Ran base mold around it to really give a true built-in look, and painted it to match all of the other wood work. Doors, drawer fronts, crown and base moldings are all paint grade poplar.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Closets-her-closet-01.jpg   Custom Closets-her-closet-05.jpg   Custom Closets-her-closet-06.jpg   Custom Closets-her-closet-08.jpg   Custom Closets-her-closet-13.jpg  

Last edited by Jeeper1970; 12-18-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Custom Closets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1970 View Post
I did just that with MDF plywood and used iron-on edge tape for edges, for a customer, I wish this was my house! Ran base mold around it to really give a true built-in look, and painted it to match all of the other wood work. Doors, drawer fronts, crown and base moldings are all paint grade poplar.
Wow. that looks great. Thanks for the post.

Can you elaborate on costs or materials and/or any plans?

I'm very much an new person to home renovations.. Thank you!!!
redpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Custom Closets

A 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheet of mdf is going to run $20, give or take. You may want to search the internet for a roll of iron-on edge tape, poplar, birch or maple, probably $35 or $40 for a 200 (not sure on length) foot roll. You don't want to have to buy 20 small rolls from Lowe's or Home Depot at $5 or $7 a pop.

If you go with a birch plywood from Lowe's or Home Depot, you're looking at $40, give or take, for the same size sheet, and you'll still need some kind of edging, whether edge tape or face frames. One problem with plywood from Lowe's/Home Depot is the veneer on them is extremely thin, if you're not careful sanding, you'll sand right through it. You can stain the birch to get a cherry look, cherry plywood is going to run upwards of $100 for a 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheet, give or take. Cherry melamine would cost around $30 or $35 a sheet, but you'd have to find somewhere to buy it, I'm personally not a fan of it.

If you want doors, again search the internet for cabinet doors, check with local cabinet companies. I used poplar door, you could use mdf if you prefer. Prices will vary depending on size, raised panels, etc.

As far as plans, I designed it to fit the room. I've done a couple others that weren't this nice, but likewise, they were designed to fit the room. You'll want 32" to 36" hanging space for shirts and jackets, 48" or so for wife's knee length dresses, 60" for formal dresses and trench coats. Easiest thing is just get a tape measure, and start measuring your clothes on hangers, take into consideration ceiling height and if you do want base or crown mold, and figure out what will work. If you want shoe racks, measure your shoes. I don't know how well it shows up in the picture, but I angled the shoe shelves for two reasons, so they fit better in a shallow cabinet, but also so you can actually see the shoe.

For the hang rod, leave 3" or 4" above for clearance, and 12" away from the wall. Depths of cabinets are 14", which doesn't give as good a yield out of 4x8 sheets as a 12" deep cabinet, but the depth works well for the closets.

The one big drawer has a built-in clothes hamper. Not pictured is an ironing board that folds down, when not in use it's stowed away behind a matching cabinet door, but those can get pricey, if I remember correctly around $200 for an ironing board. You can find most of your hardware on-line, one place that comes to mind is Hardware Distibutors, Limited (hdlusa.com). I believe they sell to the public, you just don't get the discounts the pros get.

When I designed the cabinet with the hamper, I actually started with the hamper dimensions, designed the drawer space around the hamper, then the cabinet around the drawer space needed.

Other drawers are lined with felt for jewelry, watches, etc.

In an 8'x 8' room, I'd probably do an island in the middle with drawers, maybe 42" tall or so, with a nice top on it. Decorative shelf edging works great if you want a wood top, whether painted or stained.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by Jeeper1970; 12-18-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #5

Custom Closets

You could also buy cherry hardwood to do the faceframes/edging and use mdf or BB ply for the shelving (could paint that if you like) which would give it the look of cherry without all the cost.

Figure on spending 5 bucks a bf for the cherry - might be able to get it cheaper but figuring on 5 bucks a bf will cover your waste too.

I would suggest you find a local hardwood supplier and start buying your plywood there. BB (baltic birch) is a great plywood and your way better off spending a few extra bucks at a hardwood place for a much higher quality piece of plywood. Not sure of the current cost of BB, it used to be 45 bucks for a 5x5 sheet but the price was getting ready to spike last time I bought it. Not sure what it's done since then.

IMO mdf is mdf. Buy that at da borg if you want.

Your just going to have to run the numbers yourself on the quantitys you need - there's simply no way around that.
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Custom Closets

Did you remove the carpet under the install?
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Custom Closets

That is sweet. My wife would love it too.

Jeeper, I sent you a PM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

Custom Closets

The carpet was installed after the cabinetry went in, so no carpet underneath.