Curtain Bases? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Curtain Bases?

Hey I need help in trying to make some curtain bases to hold up curtain poles. I want the curtain bases that are holding the poles to be able to be stacked on top of each other, so I was wondering would there be a possible way to make collapsible L brackets? right now I have a bunch of bases with L brackets that dont stack right on top of each other so I was wondering if I would be able to collapse the bracket or something so I would be able to put it on top of each other and make it alot more compact and space efficient to put in my truck. Some of my L brackets are also bending and eventually breaking off due to tension on the poles being stretched out, so I was wondering is there any way to fix that? I need to stretch the poles out in the corners to make the banner that I hang on the poles straight so that's why the L brackets bend. Any Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Curtain Bases?-dsc00403.jpg   Curtain Bases?-dsc00401.jpg   Curtain Bases?-dsc00402.jpg   Curtain Bases?-dsc00394.jpg   Curtain Bases?-dsc00389.jpg  

Curtain Bases?-dsc00391.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by billabongboy808; 07-28-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: change in title
billabongboy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #2

Curtain Bases?

any 1 got any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Curtain Bases?

I have no idea what your talking about...pictures are priceless for this scenario as "Curtain poles" gives me a mental image that is definately not right...
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Curtain Bases?

got pics up now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Curtain Bases?

Without a complete refrabrication and new approach, maybe put slots in the opposite side of the board and alternate the stacking. It won't be a perfect stack, but it will be kinda "locked" together and should lay relatively flat.

The first thought I had as to a pole stacking system was cones, or a relative thereof. A two-piece system amybe. 1) Flat base plates with a square hole in the middle to lock base of pole. 2) stackable cone with holes at flange to lock to base plate. Would probably take about as much assembly as you do now with the bolts, but would break down into a stack of flat plates and a stack of cones.

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 07-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #6

Curtain Bases?

If the purpose of the poles were to hang black sheets on it, how would you do this whole design? Poles, bases, hooks, etc...
It's going to be a straight line of curtains that span about 30 ft long... for example..

| |Stage|
| --------
|
|
|

It's to constrict the space of a giant room... (the | on the left side of the stage would be these curtains and curtain poles)

Would you happen to have any ideas into making this efficient to set up, efficient to carry and load (we're constantly lugging those poles around) as well as effective in holding the curtains taut so it doesnt wrinkle?

Sorry for the lack of skill I have... but just wanted to see if there was a better way to do this...and im pretty sure your experience far outweighs mines...which is none...lol

Thanks!
bigbluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

Curtain Bases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluewolf View Post
If the purpose of the poles were to hang black sheets on it, how would you do this whole design? Poles, bases, hooks, etc...
It's going to be a straight line of curtains that span about 30 ft long... for example..

| |Stage|
| --------
|
|
|

It's to constrict the space of a giant room... (the | on the left side of the stage would be these curtains and curtain poles)

Would you happen to have any ideas into making this efficient to set up, efficient to carry and load (we're constantly lugging those poles around) as well as effective in holding the curtains taut so it doesnt wrinkle?

Sorry for the lack of skill I have... but just wanted to see if there was a better way to do this...and im pretty sure your experience far outweighs mines...which is none...lol

Thanks!
What he said is exactly what were trying to do =)..Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

Curtain Bases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluewolf View Post
To have a mobile set-up that will do 30' of wall there is going to be carrying, loading, and constant lugging. It's the nature of the beast. If you are consistenly putting this rig up in the same room, you could put in some eye bolts in the walls and run a cable between them. Then hang the curtain on the cable and tie off the ends to make it taught.

You won't be able to do the cable setup with poles as the weight of the curtains on the cable will topple the poles.

If you want them really taught, then you could build frames and stretch fabric over them. Much like these: http://www.mycheappower.com/wp-conte...dividers-7.jpg Then they will fold up and stack flat and won't require any assembly other than standing them up.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Curtain Bases?

How many poles? How far apart? How tall? Is the banner that is in the picture the only thing you are hanging?
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Curtain Bases?

Have a bracket made like this that you can weld to the end of your poles or use threaded knobs to hold in as shown. Then just attach to the plywood at set up then your bases will stack flat and your poles will stack. The only way to solve your end pole problem would be to fill a 3 or 5 gal. bucket with concrete and set it on the plywood base.
Attached Thumbnails
Curtain Bases?-brackets.jpg  

Advertisement

josall is offline   Reply With Quote