Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
First time home buyer

Share |

Crowned Floor Joist

I want to install hardwood flooring in the mid level (where the kitchen/dining/living room are) of my tri-level home but there is a hump in the kitchen floor. After going into the crawl space to investigate, I discovered that one of the joists in the floor was bowing upward, causing the hump. How do I correct that? Do I have to replace the joist? Thanks in advance.

Thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 AM   #2

Crowned Floor Joist

If the crown is less than about 3/8" you can just sand it down with a belt sander. Take a look in the crawl space to see if anything is forcing the joist up,beam,stub wall. If it's really bad you might have to pull the sub floor and plain down the joist but that's not much fun.
They sure don't build them like they used to.

krazy johnni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Crowned Floor Joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye View Post
I want to install hardwood flooring in the mid level (where the kitchen/dining/living room are) of my tri-level home but there is a hump in the kitchen floor. After going into the crawl space to investigate, I discovered that one of the joists in the floor was bowing upward, causing the hump. How do I correct that? Do I have to replace the joist? Thanks in advance.
If the hump is significantly large, aside from removal and replacement, you could also:Open up the floor over it. Snap a chalk line across the top of it - to determine the extent of the unusual hump. Then take a power planer to it....(as Krazy johnni suggested)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
First time home buyer

Crowned Floor Joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
If the hump is significantly large, aside from removal and replacement, you could also:Open up the floor over it. Snap a chalk line across the top of it - to determine the extent of the unusual hump. Then take a power planer to it....(as Krazy johnni suggested)
A book I was looking in at Home Depot today talked about "sistering", where you cut the joist in two at the apex of the hump, let it settle back down over the next few weeks and then bolt a "sister" joist next to where you made the cut.

Are you familiar with that procedure? Does it work?
Thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Crowned Floor Joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye View Post
A book I was looking in at Home Depot today talked about "sistering", where you cut the joist in two at the apex of the hump, let it settle back down over the next few weeks and then bolt a "sister" joist next to where you made the cut.

Are you familiar with that procedure? Does it work?
I understand what you are saying and that would eliminate the point of tearing up your flooring.
Key would be to do it right and make aure that all weight is off that area...
Sounds feasible to me.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote