Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

crowne molding

It is stupid question of the week. crowne over kitchen cabinets is 51/2" wide, rest of house is 7 3/4" how to butt together, can't get a fancy outside or inside corner at HD........ same problem with base butting to toe kick.
Shelly

QUEENQUITEALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

crowne molding

Does the crown from the cabinets die into the wall? I am guessing it does. One option is to install a block at the junction and butt both pieces into that. You would want to route or carve a design into the inside corner of the block and make a decorative bottom point that stuck below the bigger crown. Another option is to run the bigger crown to the cabinets, then scribe out that shape on to the face of the smaller crown and custom fit it to form into the bigger piece. Hold the smaller crown in place and bump it into the edge of the big crown. Use a compass opened to the widest gap between the 2 pieces. The compass has to be kept exactly horizantal as you slide the point along the big crown and trace the shape on the small crown. Don't cut right to the line the first time...cut in the waste area, try it, and keep woking it until it fits. It is hard to explain in words, but I hope this helps.

For the base... If it is taller than the toe space, measure the depth and height of the toe area and mark it out on the base. Cut away the material that is blocking the fit. The top of the base will fit tight to the face frame of the cabinet and the rest of the base will slide into the toe area.

MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

crowne molding

MNsawyergp,
Thanks a bunch. This is what I am doing- took your advice on the block but am using some carved corbels and everything will butt to that. as for the base, you are correct however I have inside and outside corners to butt. I think I will post pictures on Saturday. I have another problem. I have stairs (this is new construction) I am going to put a wooden skirt up the marble stairs and rip the top off my baseboard to finish the skirt. my baseboard is 5 1/4" high. should I make the skirt finish at 5 1/4"? or is this dinky? I can miter it to the lower height of the baseboard because at the top of the steps the base would turn an outside corner. The real problem is on the other side of stairs they are open with wrought iron railing- at the top of steps there is a bridge and a "pulpit" with another straight section. I need to continue molding under this area- technically should be crown but the projection will look stupid but how will it look with what will technically up side down base? I hope this is clearer than it reads back.

Thanks,
QUEENQUITEALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

crowne molding

Is the skirt out of 3/4" thick boards like 1 x 12? Next, how thick is the base? If the skirt is 3/4" and the base is thinner, like 1/2" or even 5/8", you could make the 2 butt each other. I am envisioning that spot right now and it won't join together well unless you do a decorative divider block. Another way is to cut the skirt so the base will sit on top of it, but that cap trim will not end properly. I would do the decorative divider block. Just make the skirt so when the cap trim is on it, it comes out the same height as the base...separated by the divider block. I am assuming there will be a bullnose edge on that exposed open edge that you are putting the upside down base against. Hold a piece up there and see what you think. 5 1/4" might be kind of heavy under there, or it might look just right. You decide. You may have to allow for the same kind of cap or something similar in the spot where this base meets the bullnose because you probably won't get a tight fit all along. The small cap piece will cover that gap. A question...why are you ripping the top off the base for the cap trim? That is throwing away a lot of expensive base. Can't you find a nice smaller trim to use as a cap? I'll look for your pictures
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

crowne molding

pictures please
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote