DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Crown Moulding Question

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lda130 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've installed crown moulding before, so i'm familiar with how to cut it.

I have a question, though, about making a certain cut.

I am approaching a door frame, and i want the crown to stop abruptly at the frame.

I do not want to do a right outside corner return because of the following 2 reasons:

1. If the bottom of the crown was flush with the door frame then the top of the crown would overhang the door frame.

2. If the top of the crown was flush with the door frame then there would be a space between the bottom of the crown and the door frame.

I would preferably like the top and bottom of the crown to be cut at the same length so they are both flush with the door frame and then make a return cut at 45 degrees so everything is neat and even with the door frame.

Is this possible?

Here's some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/John.PerryMD/Moulding?feat=directlink

-John

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont see any way of accomplishing what your asking, the moulding itself sits on a 45 degree angle so you will not be able to cut a return that is even with the door casing from top to bottom, you either have to accept the gap in the bottom of the crown or scribe the top of the crown into the casing which will be extremely difficult, perhaps there is a way I am not a professional but
i cant see any way you could accomplish that and have it look normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.